Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crusader

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I'm new here so lets see how this goes.

First off I have a 29 G tank with 4 Cory's, 2 Honey Gourami's, 2 Flame Tetras (Had 5 but they were my first fish and are starting to die from age), and 1 Bolivian Ram. I know the Inch/Gallon rule and I'm at about 18-20 inches.

I was wondering what you guys think would make a nice addition to this tank would be, or if it is getting too crowded. I have considered Harlequin Rasboras, but I'm not 100% sold on them. I liked the American Flagfish but I heard they tend to get aggressive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is a personal preference question, but I wanted to hear what you guys would suggest. Like I said the front runners are the Harlequin Rasboras or leaving the tank as it is.

Also, my bolivian ram, while colorful, seems to be quite shy. I was wondering if she would like a mate, if there was a type of fish that made the rams less skiddish, or if it's just their nature.

Thanks

You should up the amount of cories and tetras to about 6 each. They both need to be kept in groups. You can get the ram a mate but your not guaranteed they'll breed. If they do they will be aggressive towards the other fish who enter their claimed territory. Do you know what gender your ram is? If it is female you can add another female. You can try another small schooling fish or maybe 1 keyhole cichlid? They are shy and peaceful cichlids.

If you want to get more fish I suggest bumping the schooling fishes schools up. The reason you're not seeing your ram is because if there's no fish out in the open schooling it's a sign to them there's a predator out. Bumping the schools will liken the chances of seeing him.

Alright thanks guys, I'm just going to add some more flame tetras and maybe some corys and leave the rest as is.

Back
Top Bottom