Straight outa the Krib!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enadeau12

Aquarium Advice Activist
krib... get it!? kribensis. hahahah! so yeah, i bought three kribensis, i picked my male and bought what i thought were two females but it turns out in different light that this young lil bugger might be a male. what should i do? should i get another female and have two pair?

What size is your tank again? 55g? Its really up to you. If you wanna breed I would forgo the second male for a second female. Whenever they breed they are going to get much more aggressive. And its just another fish that will enjoy an egg snack! You might be fine but for a breeding tank I think you would have a more enjoyable time with less males to worry about. Your male will like the ratio too!!! haha

I agree - you'd be surprised at how feisty they can get when paired up. Once a pair forms you might even wind up removing the third altogether. It will depend on the individuals and their temperament.

okay thanks for your input. they are living with some rams too. is that a problem

With a 55 as long as you have plenty of hiding spots I think you will be ok. Do you have a pic of your tank?

Definitely create some caves and nooks, with zones of the tank so their sight lines will be broken (while a pair is in their cave they can't see around an object to another nook without swimming around it). You ought to be able to do that with a 55. Pics, as SWerner suggests, would help and we can make suggestions.

Looks pretty good to me it's hard to tell but as long as you have areas big enough to make a sort of cave area you should be good to go.

ya, i hope, im going to post some pics of my kribs. tell me which ones are female or male. i tried my best to sex them im for sure one is a male and one is a female just unsure about one more and want to get it a partner in crime. thanks!

i actually hope my dont breed, my tank is more community so i think itd be better if they refrained from having kids. any idea on the krib?

It looks like a female to me although unfortunately the pic isnt the best. It looks more rounded which is attributed to females while the male is more torpedo shaped. Also I can't see the color very well but I know the pink on the male can go from the head almost to the anal fin. And the female's pink more centered around the belly.

i know i deff. have a female. and a male. ahaha there is one tho that is darker than the both that im sure of.

k so overnight, the male and female i picked up yesterday have changed so much. my females stomach in soooooooo red and the male is getting new coloring from his head to his rear, a pinkish. this wasnt there yesterday it just seems like things are happening really quick, im surprised. and the larger male ( bigger by almost an inch) has no color in is lower section and refrains from chasing the other couple around. should i pick him up a female?

has anyone ever watched kribensis sift through the sand for food? its pretty funny, they've been doing it all day off and on, they look like they love it. i have an 3 and they're all getting along just fin, making their way from one end to the other, taking chunks outa my sand.

Yes, i have. I believe that the " Mysterious " krib is a male. His fin's are very elongated, and his stomach isnt very round. A better picture would lead to more accurate sexing.

he's a male. haha but i noticed today my female, she turns her stomach soooo red and flashes it in both males faces. whats she doing?

Back
Top Bottom