Strange Acting Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stumpyjr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a new member and find this web-site very useful . Just started a new 29 with mixed africans. 8 to be exact all about 2" in length. Temp is 76-78....PH is 7.2 range. Feeding frozen brine shrimp (luv them)..daily....and frozen blood worms once a week. Occasional flakes also. Had one fish acting funny last night.....was on bottom behind a rock...not moving at all....no fin action ! Thought he was dead! Only moved out for a second if someone else got in his (her) face ....then went back to same position. Also thought I saw on his (her) forehead like a white looking almost powdery looking stuff! This morning the fish was back to normal ! Any ideas or comments from all you seasoned veterans would be greatly appreciated !

While you have an assorted bunch, what type of african cichlids are they? (Lake Malawi? Lake Tanganyika? Mbuna's, haps, shellies, peacocks, etc?).

If they are mbuna's (and most of the species within this particular african cichlid group are herbivorous), then daily brine shrimp is probably not the best food for them (and could potentially lead to the often fatal malawi bloat).

But then again, you may have cichlids which will do fine on a regular brine shrimp diet (although mysis shrimp is probably a better food for cichlids which do fine with shrimp as a regular part of their diet).

Need more data.

Any pics?

Strange behavior

While you have an assorted bunch, what type of african cichlids are they? (Lake Malawi? Lake Tanganyika? Mbuna's, haps, shellies, peacocks, etc?).

If they are mbuna's (and most of the species within this particular african cichlid group are herbivorous), then daily brine shrimp is probably not the best food for them (and could potentially lead to the often fatal malawi bloat).

But then again, you may have cichlids which will do fine on a regular brine shrimp diet (although mysis shrimp is probably a better food for cichlids which do fine with shrimp as a regular part of their diet).

Need more data.

Any pics?

I have two peacocks and the remainder are Malawi's...so I was told from the LFS. I will switch to rotating flakes and pellets......! Any thoughts on the occasional blood worms ? They all seem to enjoy those !

I have two peacocks and the remainder are Malawi's...so I was told from the LFS. I will switch to rotating flakes and pellets......! Any thoughts on the occasional blood worms ? They all seem to enjoy those !

Peacocks are Malawis.
There are 3 Main types of Malawi Cichlids.
1 = Mbuna
2 = Haps
3 = Peacocks

Some mixes of these fish are not advisable.
Can you post pics to help us check the compatibility of your fish?

Strange behavior

Peacocks are Malawis.
1 = Mbuna
2 = Haps
3 = Peacocks

Duh...Sorry...this is all new to me ! I never realized how many differant kinds of cichlids there were till I did some more research! I will take sum pics and try and post them. Have patience....this electronic stuff is new to me also !

Duh...Sorry...this is all new to me ! I never realized how many differant kinds of cichlids there were till I did some more research! I will take sum pics and try and post them. Have patience....this electronic stuff is new to me also !

Haha take your time we've all been there :)

Well you definitely need to get your ph up. It needs to be for most cichlids between 7.8-8.2 and for pea rocks it needs to be a steady ph no less than 8.0

Well you definitely need to get your ph up. It needs to be for most cichlids between 7.8-8.2 and for pea rocks it needs to be a steady ph no less than 8.0

Sorry, this isn't true. Malawis and even Tangs do well enough at pH of 7.4 and even a little less.

I keep my tank around
8.0- 8.2 and I have very happy fish .low aggression and very little problem at all.....

Unless the fish are wild caught the ph isnt a big deal as long as it isnt incredibly low. At most lfs's i have bought africans from had their ph ranging from 7.0 to 7.6. These fish are being raised in lower ph's and they are acclimated to it. Im not saying that all lfs's dont have a ph of 8+ but id be willing to bet that most of them dont. Also a stable ph is always better than a fluctuating ph.

Pics !

Peacocks are Malawis.
1 = Mbuna
2 = Haps
3 = Peacocks

I am trying to get some good pics.....have patiance ! Probably not that good...it was during there morning feeding frenzy ! I will try again later . Thanks for your help ! Oh yes.....there is a Firemouth in the mix ! He seems fine with everyone...and visa versa !

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 88
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 82
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
You said you "just started" your tank can you define that. Do you cycle your tank? How long has the tank been running? What are other lvl's other then ph. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Also what size marineland filter are you running?

Just Started

You said you "just started" your tank can you define that. Do you cycle your tank? How long has the tank been running? What are other lvl's other then ph. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Also what size marineland filter are you running?

Sorry Phishfriend.......I guess the info I posted was a little thin for you to give any advice on. My new 30 gallon with a penguin 150 bio-wheel had been running for a week and a half,( with gravel from a friends healthy and stabilized cichlid tank in the filter), before any fish were introduced. The first batch included an Albino Peacock, another light orange peacock with black eyes, one fish that my girlfriend named "Camo", for his obvious camoflaged look, and a Firemouth, all an inch and a quarter to two inches in length. After another 2 weeks I introduced four more newcomers....which stupidly I did not get there official cichlid species name. One is light blue with faint darker stripes, one is almost black with darker stripes. These two also have a faint tint of yellowish orange down their dorsal fins. Another one looks like a calico colored cat. ( Sorry again...best way I can describe her/him....and the final is greenish brown with 2 spots on the side, above and below his/her centerline ! The fish that was acting peculiar was "Camo"....but he/she is fine now and all is well....including all the other levels. Sorry for being so long winded....and thank you so much for your concerns and help. Luv this forum.......!

Wow! long winded is ok ;-) but you forgot your lvl's. lol, I would just watch them closely. Seeded gravel is good but probable doesn't contain enough BB to handily you bio-load right away. So you may get a spike or two. That said, tank looks really good! Keep us posted. Welcome to AA!

Levels

Wow! long winded is ok ;-) but you forgot your lvl's. lol, I would just watch them closely. Seeded gravel is good but probable doesn't contain enough BB to handily you bio-load right away. So you may get a spike or two. That said, tank looks really good! Keep us posted. Welcome to AA!

Hey Phishfriend.....sorry I didnt ge tback sooner about my levels......blizzard here ! My PH has climbed to 7.8......Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, and nitrates are approx.25ppm,s. All is well! Happy fish ! Thanks for your help!

Hey Phishfriend.....sorry I didnt ge tback sooner about my levels......blizzard here ! My PH has climbed to 7.8......Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, and nitrates are approx.25ppm,s. All is well! Happy fish ! Thanks for your help!

Good to know all is well. We just got days of nasty rain. :-( wish it would snow here.

Back
Top Bottom