Strange behavior from Convict...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownH20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have 3 juvenile Cichlids and a Bristlenose Pleco in our 55 gallon tank. Our Convict has been acting strange lately. He will not eat, he stays in the top front corner and seems to be moving at a slower rate (when he does swim around).

We have tested water (we do this once a week) and nothing seems outside their parameters. We have varied up his food (Cichlid flakes, sm pellets, and bloodworms) but it doesn't seem to matter.

As of recently our Firemouth took control over the area the Convict had previously claimed, not sure if this matters at all... but as of right now the Convict seems lonesome with no territory of his own (even though there's plenty of tank left)

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know what else you need from to answer or help in any way.

Rick

P.S. What should our water parameters be for our fish? I read many different things...

After doing research and closely examining the test strip and numbers, I believe I have came to a reasoning of my Convict acting this way.

Due to time-sensitive priorities, we only let our new tank cycle for 48hrs before transferring our fish into it. I believe we have high nitrogen levels. Our test kits testd for Nitrate and Nitrite but the color tested is a color not even on the compare to chart...?? With white being safe and a hue of pink following. Our test strips result in a tan/light brown color...

I looked up side effects of high nitrogen levels and believe our Convict is exhibiting this behavior. I am worried and will take immediate action. I am going to call our LFS to inquire about Bio Spira tomorrow morning.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do to speed cycle our fishful tank besides Bio Spira?

The quickest way to seed a new tank is to find some filter matieral from another tank, wether it's gravel, filter media, or someone who keeps a spare running on a tank for QT purposes then added to your filter. There's also some chemicals that I've used with good success, like Tetra Safestart or Bio-Spira are the two I'd recommmend from experience, eah has cycled a tank in 7 days. And just think if you ever get another tank just seed a filter and it's instant cycle time. Last thing is to invest in a liquid tester like the API kit. In the mean time perform water changes on a daily basis to keep the water levels in a safe zone. Here's a good article on where your at.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Could be what you think it is, but:

I've seen this surface behavior from Convicts that are being bullied. Just so you are aware, 1 convict is fine, multiple females can be fine (but I wouldn't), males will kill each other regardless of breeding or not, mates (pair) will attack/kill anything else in the tank that they can, including your pleco.

Convicts are awesome if kept singly, which is what I'd advise unless you're breeding (and they need their own tank for that), and I've kept them with just about every type of fish and seen no issues with singles, but three? Yikes.

Back
Top Bottom