Strange Convict???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok maybe this is normal but I have never seen before...

I breed my pair of normal striped convicts, nothing unusual there.

about half the fry came out striped and the other half white (or pink).

well i gave away most of the fry over the last 3 months, but kept 6 for myself, 3 stiped and three white.

two of the white ones have developed orange undersides and dorsal fins...has anyone seen this before?

BillD said:
The ones with the orange underside are females.
yeah i did a little research and found some pic of others... I as kind of hoping that i had chanced upon a new mutation... would have worked great with my genetics unit... 8)

I can still make this work
I am assuming that pink is a recessive gene, and both parents are heterozygous for pinkness. so... if i breed a pink male and pink female I should get 100% pink fry. anyone know if this is true?

Hi jdogg,
It will never result in that 100% of the time due to how genes work, although your chances are greatened. If the pink is the recessive gene (1 in 4 chance of them having it) then the chances of the pink male and female producing pink babies is no more so than breeding a normal male and female that are known to contain the gene. It's just that you know obviously that they carry this gene and therefore chances are higher they will produce pink ones as compared to just 2 random normal ones.

Now if it becomes the dominant gene, then that's another story. :)

flipz said:
Hi jdogg,
It will never result in that 100% of the time due to how genes work, although your chances are greatened. If the pink is the recessive gene (1 in 4 chance of them having it) then the chances of the pink male and female producing pink babies is no more so than breeding a normal male and female that are known to contain the gene. It's just that you know obviously that they carry this gene and therefore chances are higher they will produce pink ones as compared to just 2 random normal ones.

Now if it becomes the dominant gene, then that's another story. :)

If pink is recessive then both parents of my pink convict have to be heterozygous (one dominant gene and one recessive gene) to have offspring with both striped and pink phenotypes then (if it is a one gene recessive trait) you must have a double recessive genotype (both alleles for the trait are recessive) inorder to to have a pink phenotype. either heterozygous or homozygous dominant would look striped. if this is the case then all off spring of a homozygous pink mating will be pink, since both parents (being homozygous pink themselves) have only recessive alleles to give.

now I am making two key assumptions:
that...
1. pink is a recessive trait
2. pink is controlled by only one allele

does anyone have a problem with these two assumptions???

Then basic mendelian genetics tells us that any offspring of two pink parents will be pink.

i know alot of big words, sorry...i feel that if my two assumptions are correct then any mating of two pink convicts will result in pink fry, genetics 101.

has anyone tryed this mating and have real data to share?

I am thinking that, using Mendelian genetics, you are right JDogg.

The only way for there to be pink fry from two striped parents, is for both parents to pass on the recessive gene. So, the pink parents will only be able to pass on the recessive gene.
This is of course, considering what you said, that it is indeed recessive and is not controlled by more than one allele.

I have two pink convicts that have produced only pink fry. 100%. But, I don't know their linneage either. Wish I could contribute more.

Devilishturtles said:
I am thinking that, using Mendelian genetics, you are right JDogg.

The only way for there to be pink fry from two striped parents, is for both parents to pass on the recessive gene. So, the pink parents will only be able to pass on the recessive gene.
This is of course, considering what you said, that it is indeed recessive and is not controlled by more than one allele.

I have two pink convicts that have produced only pink fry. 100%. But, I don't know their linneage either. Wish I could contribute more.
thanks for the input, this sounds like and experiment for my class. i will simple purchase a pink male and breed it to my pink female (I could breed her to her pink brother, but inbreeding is bad and all :D ) and keep track of the fry color, i will let you all know the results, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom