Strange tiger oscar behavior...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelsLilGray

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently put my tiger oscar back in the 55 gallon.. he is with a pleco and a clown loach... which never show up... he is attacking the sides of the tank with his reflection i guess... also snapping at me.. what will cause a oscar to start to be more aggressive?

I dont know other than being an oscar... Maybe just the tank change has got him a little stressed out but I think he should settle back down.

he is flairing out at rocks and stuff.. like they would if there were two of them in the tank... gills fully out.. mouth open... charging. even did it to my hand a little bit ago.. i wanted to slap him xD

he is back at it and worse than ever... non stop he is snapping at the glass now.. ive watched him do it for close to 30 min.. besides everything being perfect.. 0ammo 0trite and 15trates.. what else could it be?... he keeps digging holes too..

How big is he? Maybe he is just cramped... I wouldn't keep an oscar in anything less than 75 gallons. JMO

he is close to 12".. the 55 is the tank he grew up in.. he was in a 125 for so long.. that this downsize, eventhough he lost a lot of tank mates...

A 12" oscar doesn't belong in a 55G. Also, the clown loach will outgrow it and would prefer to be in a group which would require a much bigger tank. As far as the pleco goes... "commons" simply should not be sold or kept IMO.

Attachments

• nickv_pleco_072806.jpg
    nickv_pleco_072806.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 174
a 12" oscar doesn't belong in a 55g. Also, the clown loach will outgrow it and would prefer to be in a group which would require a much bigger tank. As far as the pleco goes... "commons" simply should not be sold or kept imo.

+1

the commons go in my moms pond when they hit 10" lol i am raising them to be put in the pond.. the 5 ive released have done well in cleaning the pond up.. its a spring fed pond that stays pretty consistant temps.. im thinking one day.. ill catch one LOL and the clown loach is going on a year old.. and still only 3-4".. he was in a group and the other two are gone now.. so i think being in the group.. he is pretty much stuck that size.

the commons go in my moms pond when they hit 10" lol i am raising them to be put in the pond.. the 5 ive released have done well in cleaning the pond up.. its a spring fed pond that stays pretty consistant temps.. im thinking one day.. ill catch one LOL and the clown loach is going on a year old.. and still only 3-4".. he was in a group and the other two are gone now.. so i think being in the group.. he is pretty much stuck that size.

1st, good for you for properly housing the plecos! It's sooo rare unfortunately. :(

Clowns do grow slowly. Hopefully it's not just stunted. You seem like you do care, but I'm still kinda worried about the oscar just based on the footprint of a 55. Regardless, I wish you and your fish all the best luck possible!

Back
Top Bottom