Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Stressed jack dempsey

Hi all as always I have come on to my best site for advise.

I am a little new to chiclids and seem to be having a few issues with my fish. I have a fully grown Oscar with a small red devil. I was told that this would be a good pair as they were both hard fish and would be ok.

Wrong my red devil is a bully and caused my Oscar a lot of stress as he refused to defend himself. I called my LFS and they suggested adding another fish something that is equally aggressive. I added a jack Dempsey to the tank and now feel that he is on his last legs as the red devil continues to bully both fish. I added the JD 48 hours ago and he is sat in the corner looking scared. I really don't know what to do. This red devil despite being small is taking over the tank. I am worried about my JD. should I give him time to settle in or take action. What action should I take.

I have a 75l tank water conditions are spot on and I do over feed slightly to try and stop aggression. Any help would be great.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The tank is way too small to house any one of those fish. Nine times out of ten the lfs will tell you anything to sell you more stuff. You should rehome all of them.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry I ment 75g not litres.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

At least 2 of the 3 need to be rehomed. The jack is the only one that fits in a 75.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had a very happy Oscar in there who is fully grown and was doing really well. Then I added a small red devil and it went belly up. I got the JD to take pressure off the Oscar but simply has not worked.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea the red devil will terrorize any thing Maybe rehome him and see how it goes.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always wanted a red devil but I think they need their own tank or a 220 gallon with a pair. The Oscar and jack may work in the 75 but that's a lot of waste and you will need to watch the water quality real close.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 2 external power filters running and do PWC every 4 days. I agree they are dirty fish and after having a planted community tank I was shocked to see the Oscar mess the tank up in no time at all. I thought the Oscar would hold its own being big and having a massive mouth. If I put my hand in there he won't think twice about having a pop at me. We have been watching closely and the Oscar is defending the JD. Very odd behaviour. The red devil is in the process of being taken out as he is the issue. I hope it's not to late for my JD as he is very stressed due to the red devil.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If he is stressed and has some nipped fins, just do extra water changes. More than 25 percent. Keep the lights off, less stress the better. With clean water, maybe some stress zyme, he will bounce back.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Utterly pissed off. I had to get red devil out and get shot of him. Just done it. I hate getting rid of fish it's not fair on the fish. I blame LFS for bad information and myself for lack of home work. Very harsh lesson learnt. Utterly gutted and upset things like this put me off the hobby. Thanks for your help in this matter guys I do appreciate it but I am off to get emotional alone.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com