Subservient male cichlid behaviour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there,

New to African cichlids and just received my first group of cynotilapia afra. Although still juvenile I know two are definitely males. I have noticed some interesting behaviour and assume it is the submissive male displaying to the dominant. Whenever the two males are side by side the non dominant kind of leans over to one side and flutters his pectoral fins. Quite funny and cute but is this him backing down to the dominant male?

Hmm, maybe it is just a colourful female then. Or perhaps it's a gay Afra :) the dominant male has just started digging out a small hole as well...I would be amazed if this is breeding behaviour after a day but won't be complaining if it is hehe.

Hmm, maybe it is just a colourful female then. Or perhaps it's a gay Afra :) the dominant male has just started digging out a small hole as well...I would be amazed if this is breeding behaviour after a day but won't be complaining if it is hehe.

Females can display bright colors especially when trying to get some lol. It sounds to me they are or about to start breeding. It doesn't take mouthbrooders long to breed together

Wow that's amazing. I'm so pleased with these guys. They're so inquisitive and have some fascinating behaviour. Better than tv!

Lol, surprisingly I have male gourami that display the same mating behavior, I'm pretty sure they are both males, I've had them for a few years now and they would have had fry if it were a mating pair- or can fish be born sterile?- I am half serious in that one, if anyone knows the answer...

That's a good question. I'm guessing they can be born sterile. Perhaps they can also become sterile if conditions aren't good/stresses are present?

Come to think of it, I know the answer to my own question ;-) fish won't breed unless there ideal mating habitat is met.. Fortunately my 20g hospital tank offers absolutely no coverage for a bubble nest. Lucky for you mouth brooders are very easy to successfully mate once you have a breeding pair. Here's to your success!! Post pictures of mini fry when it happens!!

Thanks and fingers crossed. Just have to wait and see I guess :) will definitely post some pics...although all I have is my ipad for taking photos and they seem to be shy of he scary metal square when it comes near them! Hehe

Give them some time and they'll be trying to attack it and pose for pictures, that's what mine did, I had 2 oscars.

Back
Top Bottom