Substrate for Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirt Diggler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to upgrade out of my 45 gallon to a 150 gallon and I have some questions about the pH buffering of the different substrates. I've heard that puka shells, aragonite, and crushed coral all raise the pH, harden the water, and buffer against pH changes. Is one better than the others in doing this? What is the general consensus when it comes to these substrates? Right now I using normal gravel, and adding Cichlid Buffer after water changes to raise the pH, and buffer. I'm stocking Lake Malawis in this tank.

What is your ph out of the tap? Usually adding things is not good for your tank. If your ph is low I would add sand to the bottom and a bag of crushed coral in the filter. To raise ph. Before that find your tap ph. If it's good DONT mess with it

What is your ph out of the tap? Usually adding things is not good for your tank. If your ph is low I would add sand to the bottom and a bag of crushed coral in the filter. To raise ph. Before that find your tap ph. If it's good DONT mess with it

My pH out of the tap is 7.4-7.5. I was interested in the buffering the substrates supposedly offer. Right now my fish are in water that has a pH of 8.0-8.2. Would a carbonate based substrate take my pH beyond what it is now?

Cichlids like sand to sift through. I'd put sand on the bottom and coral in the filter

So don't use the coral at all as part of the substrate? I guess a handful in a filter would be good for a 125-150 gallon tank? I have to ask, at what point does someone actually use these carbonate based substrates, as an actual substrate? And of course, thank you for the guidance thus far. This is my favorite place to go for fish knowledge!

So don't use the coral at all as part of the substrate? I guess a handful in a filter would be good for a 125-150 gallon tank? I have to ask, at what point does someone actually use these carbonate based substrates, as an actual substrate? And of course, thank you for the guidance thus far. This is my favorite place to go for fish knowledge!

You can if you want but your fish will enjoy sand much more. If they like the look of the coral then the use it. It can only raise the ph so much so adding a ton isn't going to do more for your water

Back
Top Bottom