Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Suggestions

I know you guys probably get sick of posts like these. Sorry I'm still still relatively new to Cichlids, so bear with me.

55 gallon. HOB. Balanced water with good parameters for Mbuna. 4 Yellow Labs. 1 Ps.Acei. 2 Ruby Reds. 1 Elec.Blue Johanni (for now, at least). 1 Rainbow shark. All are late adolescent.

I would like to add more fish. Ideally I would like as much color variety as possible. I only purchase from LFS. I would welcome and appreciate suggestions for commonly available compatible tank-mates. ~Thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

im sorry, the acei needs a much bigger tank and will prob have a very unhappy life in there long-term as they are so active. the shark needs a bigger tank too in time.

with the the yellow labs can go zebras (OB is my fav), fuelleborni, peacocks. obv many others work well in that sort of tank, like occasionally auratus and bumblebees etc, but i reccomend the 1st 3 as they go well in that sort of community.

how many females do u have in the tank atm? x

Old 11-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic
im sorry, the acei needs a much bigger tank and will prob have a very unhappy life in there long-term as they are so active. the shark needs a bigger tank too in time.

with the the yellow labs can go zebras (OB is my fav), fuelleborni, peacocks. obv many others work well in that sort of tank, like occasionally auratus and bumblebees etc, but i reccomend the 1st 3 as they go well in that sort of community.

I love the female auratus but can't seem to get one, they always end up being male and mean as heck!!! I've had to get rid of all I've gotten. Someone told me once to stay away from fish with horizontal stripes cuz they tend to be more aggressive. I'm sure that's not ALWAYS true but so far it's been accurate IME.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic

I'm not sure I agree with this completely. I have had a Rainbow Shark in a 20 gallon for quite a long time now and it's been quite content. It's one of the most beautiful fish in that tank. They only get to 6." As well, I have asked all over the place about Ps.Aceis (before I purchased them) and this is the first time I have been told that a 55 gallon is not big enough. Matter if fact I have been advised that I should add get 5 or 6 more of them to keep the aggressiveness down. They only get 6-7" as well. But, I do appreciate the opinion. I will take note and keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the tip on the other fish. There are some nice-looking options in there.

So far as the labs, they are not quite big enough for me to determine the gender with my untrained eye. I know oO=female and oo=Male.

What I am really looking for are some options that are categorized as "Mildly Aggressive" at most. I want to try to minimize the possibility of my labs getting killed.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think the yellow labs are the mildest among the Africans. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure. So anything you put in will be more aggressive.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

am i thinking of the bala shark or something that needs a huge tank? lol

i am not suggesting auratus as peace fish. my last one just died from a good attack from about 4 RZ. they were sick of it. and it was a female too

personally, the range of fuelleborni is amazing and is ideal, plus the colour of a bumblebee can be diviiine. but thats imo x

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com