Suitable tank or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jespenguin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm fishless cycling my last tank now, it's a 38 gallon. And my original plan was just 2 fancy goldfish. But my boyfriend like the cichlids so I was wondering if a 38 was a suitable size, as I won't be upgrading (the 5, 38, and 55 are plenty for now). If it is what fish should I begin researching, or should I stick to the original? Also, it's a sand substrate with an aquaclear some number I can't remember right now filter, and I do have the heater.

Depends on what type of cichlids. Definately too small for many of the SA varieties, even if you buy them young and small. They grow fast.

Two fancy's would be plenty.

Or you could look into some Dwarf Cichlids, such as Rams.

I'm actually going to put either a Bolivian or German blue in my 55 community. So I was going for different. And I like the African better, but again not trying to cramp or overload. Would you say that Africans would work?

Is the tank 4' long? If not, there arent many africans I would suggest putting in there... Some of the fish from Lake Tanganyika would be fine in there, but none from Lake Malawi.

I'll do some more research, and it's 3 foot. Another idea popped in my mind, sorority of bettas then I get to rescue them from those awful cups:) I've got time, my cycle started this week, so I'll probably think of 600 things before I choose. Just making sure it's an option before I toy with the idea.

I'm actually going to put either a Bolivian or German blue in my 55 community. So I was going for different. And I like the African better, but again not trying to cramp or overload. Would you say that Africans would work?

I had a smaller Kenyi Cichlid in my 29 gal, he's now in a 80 gal, but he had no problems. If you get a smaller cichlid it also takes them longer to reach adult size. I'm not sure what other fish you have in your tank.

I had a smaller Kenyi Cichlid in my 29 gal, he's now in a 80 gal, but he had no problems. If you get a smaller cichlid it also takes them longer to reach adult size. I'm not sure what other fish you have in your tank.
Kenyi get very aggressive if not given ample room to claim their own territory. With very few exceptions, mbuna need a 4' tank. Never get a fish if you don't have the right tank, even if you 'plan' to get a bigger tank in the future.

Yeah I know I won't be upgrading, I'm at my max. 3 tanks, 3 cats, a dog and a bunny in a two bedroom is already borderline see someone for hoarding. What can I say, I'm a prevet student:) I do really like the ram cichlids, but my pH is 7.8 out of the tap, that's why I've yet to make the commitment.

I have some rare SA cichlids, Australoheros oblongum, that thrive in hard, alkaline water and don't grow too large for a 38 available. Males max out around 5-6", females closer to 4". Very mellow disposition, even a spawning pair isn't any danger to other fish (aside from rival males) in the same tank. No worries about one beating up or killing the other either. They form a very solid pair-bond that even moving through several different tanks (and various other tankmates) didn't break. I have most of an entire spawn from last year growing out, now around 3" average size, and will be pairing off in a couple more months. Shipping isn't a problem, shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Adult male:
img_1219043_0_38100a61d5134a1df2722a72b29e27c9.jpg

Adult female:
img_1219043_1_e48072028d2d66bde68957b35208c628.jpg

Pair together:
img_1219043_2_a118da1d3bdfdce8840c5d8e3bc41caa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom