Surprise Babies!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just found five 'surprise' fry a few days ago in my tank of six "mixed cichlids" and one pictus catfish. They were about 1/4" three days ago, and nearly 1/3" today. I have plenty of plastic plants, logs and caves to hide, so I have no clue who the parents are or how many didn't survive. I've been adding a pinch of crushed veggie flakes with the adults' floating pellets, so they're busy while the fry come out to grab the falling flakes. (Was surprised how large a piece they can gobble up!) I notice there is also some green algae on the 'caves' they are grazing on. They seem to be quick enough to keep out of the way of the big fish, so I'm taking the chance to leave them until a larger tank goes on sale.

I cleaned the tank this morning. The pictus has half of the bottom staked out, and keeps that side clean of debris. The HOB filter is also on that end. Two fry have their hidey holes above, in the 'log' crevices. The other side gets an accumulation of debris, mainly in the back corner. I took a chance and move everything on that side to the center, fry and all. Vacuumed that area, and put everything back. The three fry went right back to their choice of hiding places, as if never disturbed.

I've been running an Aquaclear 110 with double everything, Purigen, bio media, polishing pads, plus pothos plants water rooted out the back corners. If I can't get the larger tank before they grow out to fingerling, I plan to add a second 110. Weekly 1/4 tank water changes, and media rinsing every other week. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475541453.279163.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475541512.188711.jpg

All five are doing great! I'm really surprised at how territorial they were, from the day I discovered them. Growing & changing so quickly, they don't have that new fry transparency already. Just teeny versions of their tankmates now ??!

It's been ten days since my big 'discovery' and last night I noticed ONE MORE! Must've been hiding in a deep spot, doesn't look as big or well-nourished as the ones I've been watching. Guess s/he got brave and decided to look for some food! This new one is about 1/2" and the others are about 3/4" already. DEFINITELY need a new tank!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476304468.544704.jpg

Wow thats great!

New babies are always a nice addition to the tank. It sounds like you are doing everything well. Cichlids will surprise you; sometimes you can barely see the "pouch" where mommy carries babies; then the babies are here!

The little ones are fast little guys; and as long as you have hiding places; they will outrun the grown fish all the time. I have had babies in my tank; and they are now adults and are beginning the mating thingy now.

Its fun!

Mike.:)

Back
Top Bottom