Surprise! Shellie babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is about 4 to 1, shell to fish. You usually wanna provide at least 2-3 shells per fish, they will usually pick a shell and also use a couple shells nearby, or bury a couple like one of mine loves to do

Mine are digging as we speak ;) and I also have a few chunks of texas holey rock in my tank, helps define territories as well as providing a quick retreat for when they get startled. Just a warning, these guys are quite skittish, be prepared to have to sit at your tank for like 10 or 15 minutes completely motionless in order to really observe them until they are comfortable with your presence :)

Oh jeez. There are constantly little kids running around and screaming at my house. And, my tank is in the family room, about the loudest spot in the house. I may have to consider moving the tank to the basement.

I think I will go with 6 Neolamprologus multifasciatus and 2 Ocellatus Golds. What do you think? I probably could add more but I will start with that.

You usually want to avoid mixing species due to hybridizing and aggression unfortunately...as for the adding later, I tried to add a 5th to my colony recently and they beat her up to the point i had to rehome her! Once they establish "they're" colony, they aren't too accepting to others lol

The heavy traffic will actually help them come out of their shell, pun intended ;) You just want to give them some quiet time for a week (give or take) so that they can find their home shell and establish territories, after that, watch away! :)

Yeah, that should be fine :) once they start to breed, or if you add more, just make sure you add more shells, as most of them will get claimed lo

Did you have any problems with your filter moving the shells? I have strong filtration and I am worried that I may have issues keeping the shells in one place.

usually if you do a 2 inch sand bed and just push the shells down well, then you won't have an issue, but my filter is fairly week current wise

OK once I get them I will try pushing them in the sand a bit. I also might add a pinch of sand inside the shell as well to see if that will weigh it down some.

When (or if) I see fry, I'll probably put a sponge around the intake of both filters, but right now I don't want to slow the filters down if I don't need to.

Well, thanks for all your help! This shellie thing isn't quite set in stone for me, my mom doesn't seem to be too crazy about them and I have a heavily planted community stocking idea that I still might do instead. But thanks for all the info, I am seriously looking in to them!

Congrats on those babies!

We just got our escargot shells from Amazon today. I would definitely recommend them. They're a lot bigger than the Turbo shells we have used in the past.

That's good to hear Severum mama because A few of my shells are on the small side, I just haven't gotten around to ordering them, I searched a lot of the holistic and organic markets around here to no avail, so I just asked several saltwater stores and got some large ones for free, as well as a few whale eye shells from petsmart (i think that's what they're called haha) Anyway, my count is up to 6 total fry, 3 for each parent. I adore these little guys, so much energy! They chase each other around and play while mom stands guard haha And thanks Bud for the reminder about the intake! I completely forgot!

Congrats on the babies! I subscribed to your thread since i just purchased 3 multis for my 10 gallon on saturday! Hoping i got a male and 2 females but I'm not sure yet.

I searched everywhere for escargot shells too! I asked at french restaurants, whole foods, etc. Finally I found them in an Amish Market, the catch was I had to buy the canned snails with them... Eww. But I have 10 shells and some rock for the 3 multis, they seem to love the shells!

Yeah, the one female for sure has only 3, the other has 5 that I've counted thus far :) so excited :D

And I thought for sure whole foods would have them! I checked 3 different locations! I've seen them there before, but of course, now that I need them, they don't have them haha

Back
Top Bottom