Swimming with the big guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have about 20-25 yelllow lab fry that are about 2cm (.78 inches). About a week ago I put one in the 36g with the bigger guys and hes doing pretty good, growing, coloration and whatnot. He's been living in holes on the base rock I have in the tank. Anyways, is it okay to put the rest in there? There are 45 total fry, but the others are still pretty small.

Thank you:)

How many bigger guys do you have? Do you know the sex of all the current residents?
ID Say no if you have 5 or more.

Its a 36gallon tank and is already unsuitable for the adult mbuna you have in there, so adding 45 fry would be a really bad idea in a really big way. I would seriously consider Rehoming the fry or sell/give them to your lfs. Again, i cant stress enough that 36gallons is a long way off being a suitable home for adult mbuna as it is. And adding another 45 is an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Its a 36gallon tank and is already unsuitable for the adult mbuna you have in there, so adding 45 fry would be a really bad idea in a really big way. I would seriously consider Rehoming the fry or sell/give them to your lfs. Again, i cant stress enough that 36gallons is a long way off being a suitable home for adult mbuna as it is. And adding another 45 is an accident waiting to happen.

All I have in the tank is 1 lab, 1 cobalt zebra, 1ob peacock and an auratus (which I'm giving away because he killed off the rest of the labs) all about 3 inches. Everybody has their own territory too. Why is the tank so far from being suitable?

The tank isnt big enough for the adult length of these fish, ob peacocks can grow to 6inchs easily and need more open water to stretch fins. Also i believe that your ob will start munching and half of these fry will be killed and eaten.

Well, i know it sounds drastic and i cant make the decision for you. Cant you find a 55 cheaply? If you're taking back the auratus maybe you could do a deal with your lfs for the fish and your fry.

Or simply rehome your existing fish and keep the fry. Once they show their gender keep 3or4 females and 1 male and give the rest away, this way you can still produce fry if you wanted to.

Last edited:
I was only go just to keep 5 or 6 of the fry and try to make a deal with the lfs for the rest. I was going to let them reach 1.5 inches then sell them. I don't want of give away the fish I already have because I've spent about $200 on rocks, food, fish etc. Other than the auratus they're pretty docile with each other. A while back I had a thread about adding more fish to my tank and that was when I had the other labs. I just don't know why to do...

Go on c.list and try finding a bigger aquarium or at least an aquarium for the little guys. My yellow also had fry & I had her in her own small tank till I got the fry out. Now they are in their own tank for now. There was 18 in total & I gave 6 each to 2 friends of mine who have cichlids. I have a 130g with 21 cichlids and no way these guys will make it in there.

Go on c.list and try finding a bigger aquarium or at least an aquarium for the little guys. My yellow also had fry & I had her in her own small tank till I got the fry out. Now they are in their own tank for now. There was 18 in total & I gave 6 each to 2 friends of mine who have cichlids. I have a 130g with 21 cichlids and no way these guys will make it in there.

The fry are in a 10g which I do water changes in every other day and they're growing pretty fast too.

Agreed^
That's tough info to hear about your 36g and current stock.
You should go all out and get that 55g for your current fish and turn the 36g into a South American tank. Apistogramma, Crenicara, and Microgeophagus are a few very interesting genus examples to look into:)

I would get a new tank but I'm only 13 and have NO money at all and my mom doesn't want to spend much money on my fish.

She thinks I should flush the auratus :( but I'm taking him to the lfs for sure.

Yeah, no flushing. That's the wrong answer to your situation. Sorry mom, but really?

Take some good pics of your fish/fry to your LFSs and try to cut a deal for in store credit.

Well you could gamble for a while with a species only 36g. Your Labidochromis caeruleus at a ratio of 1male to 3-4 female could be worth a shot given your circumstances. It will be a fry producing factory, but it sounds like you are already well on your way there.
They'll reach 5-6inches when fully grown, and They will require every square inch of the tank for their territory. Other Mbuna or Aulonocara species will stress the tank to a bad ending.

What if I just kept a few peacocks, including the one I have now, until I can get a bigger tank?

Back
Top Bottom