Switching my 75 cichlid tank from gavel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M.C.S

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my cichlid tank for 2 years and would like to switch to sand. What would be the best type? And tips/suggestions on keeping the water clear when I do the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pool filter sand is what I use and love! The best way to drop sand in the tank I have found is either with a funnel that reaches almost to the bottom of the tank (like an oil change filter) or turn off the filters, drain half way, place sand in a bucket and carefully lower the bucket into the water and spread out slowly and then let sit until the sand settles.
Pool filter sand is course and heavy do it doesn't stir up as easily as some other more fine sands.

Agree with Tpalmer, ive used swimming pool sand for years with no issues.

Okay thank you! I think I'm going to try the pool filter sand :)

Crushed coral is good, but I have heard of people crushing texas rock with ok results... But I'd go with the coral.

Heavens - wondering how they do that. I'm assuming it's fairly soft rock? Do they buy it already broken up or something out of interest.

My only guess would be sledge and towel over it. Holey Rock is not that soft from my experience

No, texas rock is pretty tough. I dropped one at the pet shop and almost broke my toe ( and I like to walk barefoot outside, so I got hardened soles).I'm guessing they used a wet rock and a trusty hammer

Back
Top Bottom