Switching to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joostrom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about switching my 65 gallon tank to sand instead of gravel. I was wondering what are some advantages and disadvantages to doing so and how would I clean it? And which kind of sand should I use?

A lot of folks use pool filter sand, which is cheap and effective.

I don't know that there are many disadvantages or advantages when comparing it to gravel -- it just depends on what look you like.

You clean it just like gravel... you just have to be careful with the gravel vac to not suck up too much sand. I have seen folks use a tooth pick rubberbanded to the end of the vac to help stir up the sand a bit while vaccing so they don't have to stick the vac all the way down in the sand.

I am pretty consistent in my tank maintenance, but when I swapped my gravel out for sand, the amount of waste that was under the gravel was amazingly gross. It looked like sewage. I did the change with the fish in, and it worked, but after doing it, I would recommend removing the fish to a bucket with tank water and an air stone, then just change everything at once, it will be less work. Not having all that crap under the gravel is the biggest advantage I have seem so far, and next would be the filter does a great job of picking up all the poo. If you make the change, and you don't yet have a power head, invest in one. Your tank will look so better, and with my Africans, they love it.

I switched to sand as well, recently.. Yet to have siphoned it yet.. But all the gunk sits on top of my white sand, & my marineland maxijet 1200, powerhead doesn't do anything but make big mounds of sand in different places so it's pointed up, how would I go about using it properly, since I don't seem to be. :)

I just recently switched to a combo of river rock and play sand and love the natural look of it. My corys seem to be a lot happier with the softer substrate. My switch was pretty "easy" (relative term here) cause i completely changed tanks. If you use play sand rinse it, A LOT! Once it's clean it works wonderful.

I would agree with crawdaddy about moving the fish to a bucket, do the switch, let everything settle, then put the fish back. I have a Koralia 425 blowing across the sand and it keeps it nice and clean without making any dunes or trenches.

I don't understand how you can have It blowing right across the sand.. Lol.. If my powerhead was that low pointing across the sand, all my sand would be against the opposite side of the tank.. Is your sand fine grain? I have moonlight sand, forget who it's from..

I don't understand how you can have It blowing right across the sand.. Lol.. If my powerhead was that low pointing across the sand, all my sand would be against the opposite side of the tank.. Is your sand fine grain? I have moonlight sand, forget who it's from..

the powerhead is up near the top of my tank angled down to blow the current along the bottom. Maybe i just got lucky with my placement lol. if you want a pic let me know and i can PM one to you.

I used the playsand and river rock they had in stock at Home Depot.

I'd love a picture, & my sand is caribsea.. & I never saw any good rocks at home depot, or loses hardware.. I even checked walmart.. All i saw was the straight edge rocks.. I wanted. It to look semi natural. :) & if I point mine in any direction but up, I have sand dunes..

Labenator65000 said:
Tahitian black moon sand looks great. Rinse whatever sand you choose thoroughly and a power head is a must to control fish waste from collecting on the sand.

Take a look at this thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/changing-to-sand-this-weekend-216401.html

Ive read that before, unless they added it later, I never saw a piece on powerhead.. I have moonlight sand.. & my powerhead doesn't do that.. If it's down it creates massive Sand dunes.. I don't mind them until my plants come uncovered, or I see the bottom of the glass..

What would the best way to keep my sand clean without disturbing to much?

Siphon gravel vac with a toothpick rubber banded to the end. The toothpick will help stir the sand without having to put the siphon too close to the sand.

From what I read in other posts, you should not need to stir up the sand. The debris should sit on top, where a strong current from a power-head will break it up and it will eventually make its way to your filter. Matter of fact, you don't want to kick up too much sand or it will end up in your filter and tear up the pump. Of course Fort384 has been in the bus longer than I have, so I defer.

I also read in a thread, when you siphon your tank leave your powerhead on, & turn your filter off, & only turn it back on 30 mins to an hour after you finish..

Back
Top Bottom