Synodontis earing tropheus fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhys23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just have a question
Will my featherfin synodontis try to eat my tropheus fry?

I've got a bunch of rocks/caves in there already which I'm guessing is keeping the little man alive at the moment, what size do you think the tropheus fry needs to be before the featherfin stops seeing it as an easy snack?

Rhys23 said:
I've got a bunch of rocks/caves in there already which I'm guessing is keeping the little man alive at the moment, what size do you think the tropheus fry needs to be before the featherfin stops seeing it as an easy snack?

Probably a little over an inch, the syno is only 4, his mouth isn't quite big enough yet.. Plus the fry should be able to stay hidden since they are much smaller. The syno couldn't very well get to those spots..

fishfool58 said:
Well depending on the cage system, & seeing as the syno is already at 4 inch, it can't get into the smallest of caves..

Suit yourself :) Syno's are very opportunistic eaters and often used as population control. Size is pretty much irrelevant as I've seen on other forums that even microsyno's eat fry. To each they're own I suppose. I can tell you by experience that not even 1 fry has made it in my main :D

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Suit yourself :) Syno's are very opportunistic eaters and often used as population control. Size is pretty much irrelevant as I've seen on other forums that even microsyno's eat fry. To each they're own I suppose. I can tell you by experience that not even 1 fry has made it in my main :D

My syno's used to eat all my mbuna fry.An excellent way to control population.

Back
Top Bottom