synodontis petricola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neontetra0131

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had one of these catfish. I went to my lfs and told them i wanted cory cats with cichlids. They said the cichlids will nip and stress them out they reccommended this cat fish. How many can i put in a 30 gallon tank. How many will i need to get?

These happen to be one of my favorite fish actually. I am hoping that you are talking about keeping these with african cichlids as they aren't compatible with the south american cichlids as far as water parameters go.

I would get no less than 3 of them to keep together however there is one problem, almost all african cichlids need a 55g or larger tank. A 30g just isn't large enough to support them properly.

If going with cory cats, for the water they like id go with apistogrammas, rams, keyhole cichlids, golden dwarf cichlids, or chessboard cichlids. Discus can also cohabitate with some of the larger corys but i want to say you would need a larger tank for them. To complete the tank would then do a shoal of tetras, garnet or banded rummy nose would be my two favourites.

Apistos! Apistos! I don't even have them, I have German Rams, but I WANT them. Way cool fish!

As for smaller Cichlids, I'd definitely say Apisto's as well. My personal favorite. For a 30Gallon tank, I think I would avoid Discus as they typically need a larger tank. I have some Panda Cory's in a few of my tanks. Once I rehome some fish when a few tanks have cycled, I'll be looking to get some more Cory's as they are great little additions to the aquarium.

I believe Cynotilapia's stay smaller as well. Not all of them, but some.
Or you could do a Pseudotropheus Demasoni tank. Get like 8-10 Demasoni.

I believe Cynotilapia's stay smaller as well. Not all of them, but some.
Or you could do a Pseudotropheus Demasoni tank. Get like 8-10 Demasoni.

The cynotilapias as well as demasonis both need a 55g tank.

The Demasonis also need a harem of around 15 females per male. 10 females is the bare minimum and is cutting it close.

I personally breed these cats and are best kept in groups of 4 plus 30g tank is kinda small and best to mix with african cichlids which the 30 is way to small for

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom