tank additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats on posting the most ridiculous thing I've read today, if you think that's how stocking an aquarium works then I'd suggest stamp collecting since this hobby isn't for you. At least 90% of success goes into the correct stocking of compatible fish for the specified tank followed by the slight chance you'll get a rogue or hyper aggressive cichlid...just saying.

Wow, how very un-dude-ish of you. Lol... I'm agreeing with you, just trying to be a little bit less of a jerk about my disagreement with the person who posted that it was all about luck

;-) why do you hate me hukit? Lol

Actually if you read the post I was not saying it is all about luck, my comment actually said that the idea of fish that grow up together will automatically get on together is incorrect, and that those people who go against the normal idea of what go together and what don't, either by design or by accident have been lucky when those fish happen to get along together, rather than it being about the fact that they have grown up together. If you think that someone who doesn't know that a lake Malawi cichlid pair, a Siamese fighter, an angel and a single neon tetra shouldn't be together (I have heard of it being done before) does it, and then has them live a long and happy life together has not been lucky but has instead done it by tank design, then I don't know what you would classify as lucky.

Jeez i didn't realize i was gonna start arguments making this thread. my 55 gal was my first tank so i am still learning new things to this day so yeah sorry i didn't know for sure what could go with what or without. I just wanted help in additions to my tank. i will remove the non compatible fish now that i know the mix ups. I just wanted to know what kinds of cichlids or anything else i can add?? Please post the nickname for the fish and not just the scientific because i am still learning the names and the place where i work doesn't have the scientific names.

Actually if you read the post I was not saying it is all about luck, my comment actually said that the idea of fish that grow up together will automatically get on together is incorrect, and that those people who go against the normal idea of what go together and what don't, either by design or by accident have been lucky when those fish happen to get along together, rather than it being about the fact that they have grown up together. If you think that someone who doesn't know that a lake Malawi cichlid pair, a Siamese fighter, an angel and a single neon tetra shouldn't be together (I have heard of it being done before) does it, and then has them live a long and happy life together has not been lucky but has instead done it by tank design, then I don't know what you would classify as lucky.

Rofl I guess everything gets lost in translation when the ego challenges the id... Lol, oh how delightful the embarrassment!

Jeez i didn't realize i was gonna start arguments making this thread. my 55 gal was my first tank so i am still learning new things to this day so yeah sorry i didn't know for sure what could go with what or without. I just wanted help in additions to my tank. i will remove the non compatible fish now that i know the mix ups. I just wanted to know what kinds of cichlids or anything else i can add?? Please post the nickname for the fish and not just the scientific because i am still learning the names and the place where i work doesn't have the scientific names.

I would give the same suggestion I give most people because it gives you wiggle room start with a school of 5 bigger bodied tetra like bleeding heart, diamond or emperor, add a couple snails and then a school of yoyo loaches (3) and research what you want for your centerpiece cichlid (s)....

I would give the same suggestion I give most people because it gives you wiggle room start with a school of 5 bigger bodied tetra like bleeding heart, diamond or emperor, add a couple snails and then a school of yoyo loaches (3) and research what you want for your centerpiece cichlid (s)....

Well I already have 3 yo yos actually lol and thanks for the tetra suggestions!! But dont snails have eggs really easily?

Well I already have 3 yo yos actually lol and thanks for the tetra suggestions!! But dont snails have eggs really easily?

:) loaches are awesome!! Not all snails rapidly reproduce- stay away from multiple mystery snails, rams horns, pond snails and MTS- nerita snails can't reproduce in freshwater...

:) loaches are awesome!! Not all snails rapidly reproduce- stay away from multiple mystery snails, rams horns, pond snails and MTS- nerita snails can't reproduce in freshwater...

Ok my LFS has all of those ill check into it...what type of cichlids can I add? My tank roster is on my roster...but im getting rid of the knifefish flower horn and all 3 haps

I wouldn't suggest keeping tropheus and venustus together in a 55. I personally think you should go with a few dwarf cichlid at first, shell dwellers maybe?

I wouldn't suggest keeping tropheus and venustus together in a 55. I personally think you should go with a few dwarf cichlid at first, shell dwellers maybe?

Well im getting rid of the venustuss too...but if I get dwarfs my other fish wont bother them?

Me again =) I keep peacocks w mbuna are you just not wanting a couple more mbuna or a peacock? I think most the peacocks reach 6 in. or so while some of the mbuna grow to smaller adult size. I have 4 peacocks a hap (I don't know what size he will reach yet, but plan on larger tank soon and more fish =) and a yellow lab in a 75g. I have had aggression issues, but actually settled down for me recently, yea! Some say I'm overstocked, some say under.. I'm going to keep the number at 6 until I get my 6 footer. You could keep a variety of mbuna with centerpiece peacock, I think. If you tried for all male. I've only been in this hobby for 3 or 4 mo.s just trying to help, sorry I couldn't find what type/size for the tropheus, but they sure are pretty! They are from lake tangayika while the others lake malawi. They also do best in colonies, idk if just one would be ok though? It's recommended to not mix lakes because water and diet requirements differ, but not sure someone may have differing experience..

oh, pretty sure dwarf and peacock/mbuna not a good combo, however due to tank size if you could stand to do a trade in there are many cool smaller cichlids.. rams, and you have better luck adding a schooling fish with these types, I think

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130811_020619.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130811_020619.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 45
  • ForumRunner_20130811_020635.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130811_020635.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 39
  • ForumRunner_20130811_020646.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130811_020646.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 36
Me again =) I keep peacocks w mbuna are you just not wanting a couple more mbuna or a peacock? I think most the peacocks reach 6 in. or so while some of the mbuna grow to smaller adult size. I have 4 peacocks a hap (I don't know what size he will reach yet, but plan on larger tank soon and more fish =) and a yellow lab in a 75g. I have had aggression issues, but actually settled down for me recently, yea! Some say I'm overstocked, some say under.. I'm going to keep the number at 6 until I get my 6 footer. You could keep a variety of mbuna with centerpiece peacock, I think. If you tried for all male. I've only been in this hobby for 3 or 4 mo.s just trying to help, sorry I couldn't find what type/size for the tropheus, but they sure are pretty! They are from lake tangayika while the others lake malawi. They also do best in colonies, idk if just one would be ok though? It's recommended to not mix lakes because water and diet requirements differ, but not sure someone may have differing experience..

Ha hey yeah im new too. Well I have a variety diet. Certain days I put veggies in or algae pellets or bloodworms(for the clown knife) and im new so is mbuna a type of species? Also is Pseudo type of cichlids its own family or what im confused? And well I like peacocks but in my store we only have OB peacocks(dont like those) sunburst (already have some) sunshine and some more common types but are already adult size and I want youngrr ones

Mbuna (yellow labs and maany more) are typically smaller depending on type, rock dwelling species from lake malawi, peacocks also in this lake. Not sure about pseudo, maybe that means mixed/hybrid. I think obs are hybrid. I haven't done it before, but next time I buy fish I'm buying on line. One site I know of is daves fish, I think. Members can provide you with plenty good ones

No, not really, just make sure there are enough floating plants and java moss for them to grow and hide in, or you could use a divider until you know for sure.

Mbuna (yellow labs and maany more) are typically smaller depending on type, rock dwelling species from lake malawi, peacocks also in this lake. Not sure about pseudo, maybe that means mixed/hybrid. I think obs are hybrid. I haven't done it before, but next time I buy fish I'm buying on line. One site I know of is daves fish, I think. Members can provide you with plenty good ones

I think id like mbuna then because I like when they don't get too big...but yeah I'll check that site out

Hello I have 4 silver dollar a 5 inch ghost knife fish and I just introduced a juvenile jack Dempsey to my 80 gallon tank will I have problems from the jack with my ghost knife he's a beautiful fish and I raised him from a baby I've Baster feed him since I've had him I'm attached to him so if the jacks gonna kill my black I'm not havin that can anyone help with an answer before something happens

Hello I have 4 silver dollar a 5 inch ghost knife fish and I just introduced a juvenile jack Dempsey to my 80 gallon tank will I have problems from the jack with my ghost knife he's a beautiful fish and I raised him from a baby I've Baster feed him since I've had him I'm attached to him so if the jacks gonna kill my black I'm not havin that can anyone help with an answer before something happens

Please do not hijack the thread. Start a new thread with your question and everyone will be happy help you out.

Back
Top Bottom