Tank capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbourg746

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! Brand new here and pretty new to the aquarium game also. I have a 30 gal tank with 4 dempsey's all smaller than 3". Also in the tank is a Dempsey around 4-5" and a med pleco. Is that way too much for the tank???

I have a 30 gal tank

Welcome,

I'm afraid that tank will be to small for even one Jack Dempsey let alone 4 and a plec. The tank will start to fail due to poor water quality or aggression issues. These fish require a good amount a individual territory to reduce aggression towards tanksmates. Here is a decent link to some basic info on JD's

http://worldcichlids.com/fishprofiles/jd.html

There are other options for cichlids such as the Cryptoheros and Archocentrus genus that would work in that size tank.

Last edited:
So far I have had no aggression issues. In fact, the bigger jack tends to break up the fights between the smaller fish. I have plenty of filtration and have been doing water changes religiously. Should I still break these guys all up and maybe put the big guy in a 55gal by himself? If so can the little guys stay together in the 30gal?

Depending on what size the fish are now you may be able to house them for a short time, but for a fish that reaches 12" in length this could only end badly. There is always the chance to stunt the fish which is a terrible way to go, and contrary to popular belief fish do not stop growing when kept in smaller tanks.

Last edited:
They may be ok now but there is bound to be issues as they get bigger and settled in. I've grown out many jd groups and once they hit the 3ish" mark I separate them. I learned the hard way, had some jumpers due to aggression and some that were just outright killed by a pair that formed.

Point taken. I think I may keep a pair of the smaller in the 30gal until they get a little bigger and return the other pair to the store. The big guy is going into his own tank with the pleco. 55gal I guess. The wife is going to be soooooo excited.........

If she picks up a gun, return all the fish and start the 30g over with fish that won't outgrow your tank.

Common Plecos get huge. And have big bioloads. They need about 125g tanks or heated ponds :)

Its refreshing to see someone actually taking the excellent advise given. Trust me these guys know what they're talking about. Look on the bright side. At least you have jd's to deal with and not oscars, 55gal will work for a jd but not the latter.
Goodluck n welcome to AA!

Yes finally a new(er) member is listening!Your fish will be much better off
All of the sudden newbies have started listening to no one but themselves even when people help :sigh:

I actually thought one of the newbies posts was a test to see if anyone was paying attention.

Wasn't testing anyone. Since I reduced down to the big jack and the pleco the water parameters have been more stable for sure. Waiting to find a good deal on a 55 so I can rehome them. I am truly amazed at the wealth of knowledge that you guys possess and hope to one day be able to say the same of myself.

So glad to hear that the OP did the right thing, this is one of the better success stories i've read on this forum :D Way to go!

Back
Top Bottom