tank disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickyg78

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I recently got a 36 gallon bowfront about 2 months ago, the guy gave me everything I needed except the filter but I had filters from my old tank that I kept running on my 75 to make sure that the bacteria wouldn't die. Anyways, I did a water change last night and everything seemed fine but all the mbunas passed except 1. I don't what it could be. Filters were cycled,water was dechlorinated, temperature was right, ph,nitrates,nitrites all were in good levels. What could have happened

Sounds like the tank may have been exposed to something possibly prior to coming into your hands. I would recommend stripping it all down completely and starting again after giving everything a very good clean. Can the one remaining mbuna be housed elsewhere while you do this ? Decor and substrate may have to be thrown away and start from scratch.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like the tank may have been exposed to something possibly prior to coming into your hands. I would recommend stripping it all down completely and starting again after giving everything a very good clean. Can the one remaining mbuna be housed elsewhere while you do this ? Decor and substrate may have to be thrown away and start from scratch. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
+1 I feel your pain! Good luck

Sorry to hear.
I always test the water before and after a water change. Maybe something got in the tank?

Im not even sure. Everything seems to be in good measure. The I have coral substrate which i don't know if it affect this. But I think ill start the tank all over

Im not even sure. Everything seems to be in good measure. The I have coral substrate which i don't know if it affect this. But I think ill start the tank all over

Coral is fine for Cichlids to keep the PH up. I don't see that as an issue.
I assume you rinsed the coral before adding it. still, it would just make the water cloudy if you didn't.
There was another thread of someone losing all fish all of a sudden.

Anyway, I once lost all my fish to ick. I shutdown the tank, left the gravel and decorations outside under the sun for a few days and started all over again.
I did not want any traces of ick in this case.

Good luck on your new start.

Coral is fine for Cichlids to keep the PH up. I don't see that as an issue.
I assume you rinsed the coral before adding it. still, it would just make the water cloudy if you didn't.
There was another thread of someone losing all fish all of a sudden.

Anyway, I once lost all my fish to ick. I shutdown the tank, left the gravel and decorations outside under the sun for a few days and started all over again.
I did not want any traces of ick in this case.

Good luck on your new start.

Thanks, imma take out the coral and put regular gravel. But now I don't know what to put in it anymore..

Back
Top Bottom