Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to JenNewbie
Tank divider or nursery to intro baby discus?

Someone in Davis is actually breeding discus!! So I have 2 new babies that I would like to add to my discus tank, mainly just as a convenience to only have to do daily changes on 1 tank instead of 2. They are currently only about 1.5" long. The tank dividers I've found I don't think would work in this tank because it's acrylic (molded top with a big slot for the light and a slot for the filter/heater) and they look like they're meant to slide in tanks with no tops (ie, glass tanks). And the biggest breeder container I can find is a 12" x 4" x 4" guppy trap. Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. My runt discus passed away last night.

75 gal tank: 2 discus, 1 blue dwarf gourami, 1 male blue gourami, 1 male gold gourami, 1 female platinum gourami, 1 kissing gourami, 2 balloon mollys, 1 sailfin molly, 1 black neon tetra, 1 white cloud, 1 T-bone rasbora, 14 dwarf neon rainbows, 2 leopard danios, 1 female betta, 1 male betta, 1 clown loaches, 1 clown pleco, 1 pit bull pleco, 1 dojo loach, 1 golden apple snail, 4 corys
JenNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really depends on the temprament and size of your Discus you already have.

I would suggest to raise them up a bit in the 20 gal you have listed as empty. A lot more work, but it also acts as a QT and when the fish are vigourous enough to claim their share of food then put them in you other tank. In fact if, I were you, at at that size I would get 4 more to out in the 20 gal as they like groups better when young. As they grow, gradually sell/trade the slower growing ones and keep the best for your Discus tank. ........ Then I would divide the contents of you 75 between the 20 and 35 gal and have a 75 gal Discus display tank.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Excellent advice mattrox. Proper QT is more important for discus (especially very young ones), than most other species. Most healthy looking fish will harbor pathogens to various degrees. These will remain latent until some stressful situation acts to impede the fishes immune system. Then all hell breaks loose.

Sorry about the runt Jen. I would be especially cautious about adding any new discus to a tank that's experienced a problem. What do you think was the cause of death?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to JenNewbie
The runt was probably partly due to whatever congenital probs caused his stunted growth and being bullied by the other discus. He always ate well, but the last week he wasn't as perky and allowed himself to get chased into the corner. He just reached a point where he wasn't competing, but I didn't realize how serious it was until the night before he died when I saw how lethargic he was. Everyone else in the tank is fine. I think it was just his time.
75 gal tank: 2 discus, 1 blue dwarf gourami, 1 male blue gourami, 1 male gold gourami, 1 female platinum gourami, 1 kissing gourami, 2 balloon mollys, 1 sailfin molly, 1 black neon tetra, 1 white cloud, 1 T-bone rasbora, 14 dwarf neon rainbows, 2 leopard danios, 1 female betta, 1 male betta, 1 clown loaches, 1 clown pleco, 1 pit bull pleco, 1 dojo loach, 1 golden apple snail, 4 corys
JenNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sorry to hear about your lose. its always hard...

on a brighter note good luck with the new babies... ..I love discuss, they are so beautiful but my wife doesn't like them so...
Mazdaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby, discus, divider, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com