Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank mate help please

I all. I have a very well established 56 column tank that currently has 2 jds. A male and female, a convict, a Pleco and a Jacob. Tonight after 3 years my jewel suddenly passed. All week he was hanging out at the heater and I knew something was wrong but he had no visible signs of scrapes, tears or shredded fins. Tonight he looked bad so I added melafix and within 3 hours was dead very sad since they all got along but were raised together w. I want to add another fish but need advice on a new
One to b a good match for the already established territories of the jds and the Jacob who can get very aggressive. I think the Jacob was the culprit if TGIs death as sometimes he would chase the jewel and nip at it. What do you think I can add peacefully to the tank? It looks so empty

Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #2

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

When those JD's are full grown I can assure you the tank won't look empty, I think your fully stocked now. Maybe try to add a school of fish(7-10) such as buenes aires tetras for some movement but as far as cichlids go I wouldn't add anymore.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

Awesome idea. I'm just a little hesitant though of adding tetras with the dempseys as they are already a good 5 inches. About the size if your hand. Have you had success?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #4

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have has success but again it's dependant on the indiviual fish, I've had festae leave them alone and cutteri kill them. I'd give them a try and see, there are others like giant danios that are faster and much harder to catch.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

After you mentioned the Tetras I had giant danios in mind. Ill just gave to get the ones with the less fancier fins. I worked at a pet store for 8ish years in the fish department and our giant danios were gorgeous. Might be a fun idea to do a school.

Tags
mate, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com