Tank mate help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jinxster373

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I all. I have a very well established 56 column tank that currently has 2 jds. A male and female, a convict, a Pleco and a Jacob. Tonight after 3 years my jewel suddenly passed. All week he was hanging out at the heater and I knew something was wrong but he had no visible signs of scrapes, tears or shredded fins. Tonight he looked bad so I added melafix and within 3 hours was dead :( very sad since they all got along but were raised together w. I want to add another fish but need advice on a new
One to b a good match for the already established territories of the jds and the Jacob who can get very aggressive. I think the Jacob was the culprit if TGIs death as sometimes he would chase the jewel and nip at it. What do you think I can add peacefully to the tank? It looks so empty :(

When those JD's are full grown I can assure you the tank won't look empty, I think your fully stocked now. Maybe try to add a school of fish(7-10) such as buenes aires tetras for some movement but as far as cichlids go I wouldn't add anymore.

Awesome idea. I'm just a little hesitant though of adding tetras with the dempseys as they are already a good 5 inches. About the size if your hand. Have you had success?

I have has success but again it's dependant on the indiviual fish, I've had festae leave them alone and cutteri kill them. I'd give them a try and see, there are others like giant danios that are faster and much harder to catch.

After you mentioned the Tetras I had giant danios in mind. Ill just gave to get the ones with the less fancier fins. I worked at a pet store for 8ish years in the fish department and our giant danios were gorgeous. Might be a fun idea to do a school.

Back
Top Bottom