Tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 55g tank with 3 Bolivian Rams, 3 firemouths, and 1 blank convict. I wanted to add a cichlid that has a little more color. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of a salvini but was not sure if they were too mean. I also considered a Severum but was not sure if they get too big.

Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With the stock you have now the severum would be too big to add and the couple salvinis ive had will most likely kill the rams and stress or destroy the fins on the meeki. I think you are at your limit now but maybe could do a small school of tetras with some color.

Thank you for your feedback. I know that you mentioned that I might be at my limit, but I was wondering if a blue Acura or keyhole might compliment the tank.

Are the salvini really that territorial? The reviews on them seem at different ends of the spectrum with no middle ground.

My 1st salvini 5" after 7 months being with a 9" carpintis killed it while I was at work. If you didn't know it was a carpintis all you would know was it was a fish.
If you try a keyhole get one that's bigger than your current fish but I think the con will harass it too much. A blue acara sounds better but I think it will over stock you.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO Salvini are pure evil. No reason they will just go nuts or target a specific fish. They are pretty though. If I were to try them again I would do a species only tank.

You can try severum but in a few years you will have to upgrade to a 75.

Sounds like you are looking for a little yellow in your tank. Take a look at rainbow cichlids or golden barbs. You could also try gold dust mollies and they will even produce some live food for your other fish.

To be honest I have a female Salvini that's no trouble but that is the only experience I have with them.

For the tank you could go 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Blue Acara, 1 Keyhole and 1 Firemouth (pick your least aggressive) and at a push the convict if it's female. Keep an eye on the ram and if it's getting a kicking, trade it.

Or 1 Firemouth, 1 blue acara or convict and a female Salvini, again maybe. Need to keep an eye on it though.

My 55 currently has 1 Eliotti Firemouth, 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 female Salvini, 1 Cryptoheros Panamensis and 1 Albino Con. I get literally no probs, not even a torn fin, but they are only about half size. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Rivers2k,

Thank you for suggesting the rainbow cichlid. It looks like it might be a very good alternative. I am also still considering the blue acara.

Rivers2k,

Thank you for suggesting the rainbow cichlid. It looks like it might be a very good alternative. I am also still considering the blue acara.

Your welcome acara will work too just be careful some people have reported the acara was more aggressive then there FM. Others say they work fine. I think it is the individual fish.

My acara is the tank boss at the moment. Not hurting any one tho

Mike,

What do you have in with your blue acara? What size tank?

33 long same footprint as a 55 yellow firemouth and keyhole. All super small still.

33 long same footprint as a 55 yellow firemouth and keyhole. All super small still.

Let me change the Thorichthys It was sold to me as a yellow firemouth but I now believe its a Thorichthys maculipinnis. The Cleithracara maronii is only about an inch long and the Aequidens pulcher is about 2 inches with the Thorichthys maculipinnis about 2 1/2 inches. Still quite small. the pulcher does a lot of chasing of the other 2.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409882904.299789.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409882925.895320.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409882936.692395.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409882950.577009.jpg

Do you know if this firemouth is a male or female?

They are extremely hard to sex when young Im not really good at sexing firemouths.

Back
Top Bottom