Tank mates for JD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camj417

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering what other cichlids could live with a JD in a 75 gallon tank? I really like the salvini and green terror would either one work?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

size wise the salvini would work but and its a BIG BUT. If the salvini is anything like the 2 I have had it will eventually tear the JD up. The green terror (most likely really a gold saum) I'm not sure about because of size. some one else will most likely comment on that.

How big does a tank need to be for a salvini to be with other fish or does it just hate other fish

How big does a tank need to be for a salvini to be with other fish or does it just hate other fish

Mine just went psyco in the middle of the night. Add the fact that they have some nasty teeth and not much stands a chance. I have heard some say they have them and are peaceful but not the one's I've had. Absolutely a beautiful fish though

Yeah I really like the colors on them

I have my smaller JD with a convict and African. They seem to be doing great together. They play tag alot but nothing out of the ordinary. For the most part you would need to put them in the tank say the same time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My Salvini got torn apart in my tank sadly. Not sure if it was the jd, but i wouldnt reccomend a convict with the jd... Although it really depends on the specific fish imo. My fish grew from juveniles together, which is why i feel they get along better than normal.

From personal experience I wouldn't doubt it. The two I had in the bigger tank were together about the weeks and seemed fine but didn't work out. It's only a thirty gallon and I plan on getting a much bigger one when I have the space at least a 75 because I know 50 to 55 is recommended. One went nuts after I upgraded his tank. Is there really any way to tell the sex without taking them out of the tank.

What fish would you recommend to go with a JD?

Honestly that will have to come from someone with more experience with them. My bigger JD only had a upside down catfish in there with him and I'm not going to be putting anything else with him.

What about a severum

My wife bought the most beautiful female ever for my male for Christmas.
She had gotten to big for the previous owners tank, so he swapped her for credits at
my Local fish Store. My jack is 2 years old and about 8 inches, She was prob a
little older by how well defined her colors and overall size.
Middle of the night sometime she destroyed the divider we were using to get
them situated, and this morning my poor Jack looked like he had gone 10 rounds
with Old School Tyson :) Needless to say, just got home from a return trip for her,
Don't have any other tanks and I think she's going to have to be a Centerpiece fish
in a sol tank.

She wanted some action huh?? That's pretty wild..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So no one has had any luck really with tank mates with a JD

It's fifty fifty with anything you put in there. Sorry

Ok thanks for the replies

Back
Top Bottom