Tank Mates for Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO it's not the gallons, it's the footprint. A 55g is 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21 (l x w x h). A 75g is 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 3/8. Everything is almost exactly the same besides the 75 is 18 1/2" front to back. An oscar can grow to be 15"+. If your fish is 16" long and your tank is only 12 3/4 front to back then he will have troubles turning around. If its 18 1/2" front to back he will have more than enough room to turn around. A 55g is more suited for a Jack Dempsey, as they grow to only 10" or so.

I do not agree with even a single adult Oscar in a 75g tank. KK above me put it perfectly, he outgrows the size of the tank.

Have you seen a full grown Oscar? Imagine that in your 55g tank. Like said above, he won't even be able to turn around.

You mentioned that you've always kept them in 55g tanks... have you had a full grown one? 15"+? 55g is just too small... there's better fits for 55g tanks.

Jnthn932 said:
I have 55 gallon tank housing an Oscar and I want to add something to the tank. I know my choices are limited so I was hoping for some input. I thought that a pleco of similar size would work but he killed it! Any suggestions?

I had a breeding pair in standard 4 foot. also in the tank i had a large pleco, two convicts and two silver dollars. They only got too agressive when the other fish went near their corner of the tank. But each fish has their own personalities i suppose

I had a breeding pair in standard 4 foot. also in the tank i had a large pleco, two convicts and two silver dollars. They only got too agressive when the other fish went near their corner of the tank. But each fish has their own personalities i suppose

You had 2 Oscars, two cons, two sd's and a large (I'm guessing common) pleco in a 55g tank? :blink:

steez said:
You had 2 Oscars, two cons, two sd's and a large (I'm guessing common) pleco in a 55g tank? :blink:

Sailfin pleco. Not sure how many g. Bout 4 foot or so.

AusAaron said:
Sailfin pleco. Not sure how many g. Bout 4 foot or so.

The oscars would of been about 10 inches when i got rid of them. Got sick of coming home and water being up the wall everywhere

steez said:
Yeah so they weren't full grown yet. I was going to say..holy overstocking :p

Lol. Na. They wouldnt of been able to move. They get massive. And a handfull. They used to lock mouths and roll around the tank like mad and throw water everywhere.

I was able to mix my 7" tiger Oscar in a 55g with a 5" Jack Dempsey, 6" Manganese, and a mating couple 3" Electric Yellows.

I was able to mix my 7" tiger Oscar in a 55g with a 5" Jack Dempsey, 6" Manganese, and a mating couple 3" Electric Yellows.

Their true behavior doesn't show at 7". That is less than half grown. An adult Oscar can reach over 15".

All of those fish full grown would pose more than aggression problems. You wouldn't be able to keep the water clean, too much bio.

Back
Top Bottom