Tank Mates for Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 55 gallon tank housing an Oscar and I want to add something to the tank. I know my choices are limited so I was hoping for some input. I thought that a pleco of similar size would work but he killed it! Any suggestions?

Hi. First post in this forum. You know I have a 55 gallon and I started out with a Tiger Oscar. Several folks told me that Oscars need a tank of their own (no tank-mates) and needed a 110 gallon minimum when they get bigger. If anyone here disagreed with me please pipe in.

I ended up swapping out the Oscar with Lake Malawi Cichlids.

JD

Thanks for choosing my post as your first place to post! Whoever told you that is crazy. There is many opinions on what size fish should go into what size tank but as long as its not unreasonable and you have proper filtration and keep up on water changes an Oscar in a 55 will be fine. He's been in there for 7 months and he's doing great. I'd just like to add one more fish.

Glad to hear it! I was really bummed to swap out my Tiger. It was a beut. Maybe I'll try again with another tank some day.

In that case, you might try a Sydontis catfish. I'm told that they are rather tough and able to handle the abuse of Cichlids. Your Oscar may have been there by itself long enough to become somewhat territorial. I would recommend putting something in there for your new tank-mate to hide in when the Oscar gets too aggressive. Tons of options there.

JD

It is possible he will get to 16" that is why people recommend bigger tanks.In a tank too small for him he will kill other tankmates but if you give him a big enough tank and I would say 75 gallon + then he may be ok with other tankmates.
Google Oscar and read some of the reports.There are some very interesting facts and suggested tankmates.

Well Jnthn, 55g is small for an Oscar. The width of the tank is going to be smaller than the fish himself and he won't be able to live in it comfortably. I rehomed my oscar out of my 55g.

I say 75 too, unless you want to do 50% water changes twice a week that is

I saw a picture in a book of an Oscar that had been kept in a tank too small for it. It was literally misshapen and ill-colored. The book reported that it shortens it's lifespan.

+1 on 75g+ for Oscar's. (this does not mean an Oscar can't live in a 55g for a while, but not forever. They just grow too big.)

I saw a picture in a book of an Oscar that had been kept in a tank too small for it. It was literally misshapen and ill-colored. The book reported that it shortens it's lifespan.

Yeah. There's a misconception that fish "grow to tank size" but in reality it's being stunted by a small tank. They release hormones into the water and when the hormone content becomes too much it stunts them. Sometimes growth defects but usually just a weakened immune system and a much shorter life.

We've always kept oscars in 55. Never had stunted growth or anything like that. They've always been by themselves though so idk if adding another fish might cause that.

Back
Top Bottom