Tank problem 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamingdragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok. My 29g has problems. I think it,s a tank syndrome. After I cycled my 29g en put the fish in there. Things goes downhill from there. Because it a 29g I do weekly a 30 procent water change. But after that .my tank goes in a cycle again. When the tank was cycled it was 0 nitrate 0 nitrate 0 ammonia and 7..6 ph. But now nitrate nitrite. Goes sky high. After a water change. I have this tank for a long time. So I cecked the filter every thing. That I could do. But sinds we have colar gravel I think this is the problem. Yes I do treat the water. I never had this before. So this is what I did wased the gravel when I bought it. Cycled the tank till it was ok too put the fish in after 6 weeks. After 2 weeks of cycleing 30 procent water change sinds than it,s start too cycle again. I did every thing right but I never had this befor I have a API testers kit I think it's the gravel.

The gravel has nothing to do with it. Check your tap water for ammonia after you use dechlor. If your water is treated with chloramine using a simple dechlor product will release the ammonia. Any active tank will have nitrate, that's the end product of the biological cycle (unless there are so many live plants they use it as fast as it's produced.) Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 though.

Are you buying new filter pads and replacing those when you do a water chance or every month?

Do you really stir up the gravel when doing a water change?

If you have never seen nitrates then your tank never cycled.

How many and what type of fish are in there?

BTW, the former poster may have been alluding to the fact that changing the filter pad can cause the tank to reset. I leave mine in my HOB in for months at a time, and just rinse excess solid waste off with tank water. I will only change 1 of 2 cartridges when the media has compacted or is falling apart. I found that has helped to stabilize parameters significantly.

Back
Top Bottom