Tank requirements for dwarf cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MABJ

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, trying to do some research into which cichlid would be more suited for a smaller tank. The apistogamma or the rams? I'd like to keep one of one of these singly, in a small ish tank.

rich311k said:
Get a 20 long and you could keep a pair or a trio and have a nice little planted tank.

Well I know both are fine kept alone, and I'm honestly just looking for the smallest tank to put one of them in that ONE would be comfortable in.

Gillie said:
How small of a tank are you thinking about?

Well I'm looking for the minimum size.. I was thinking a 10 gallon

Gillie said:
Bigger is always better, but a 10 gallon is a good size for a single Apisto, a few buddies and some plants.

Cool! Now the dimensions are the exact same as a 10 gallon, the top is just an inch or two shorter, it shouldn't make a big difference for the fish, should it?

Also what do you mean by a few buddies?

I would not put an apisto in anything smaller than a 20 long. It'll 'fit' in a 10g, but I'll guarantee it wont be happy

I keep all of my breeding pairs in 10 gallons and have been doing so for 15 years with never any problem, some apistos like borelli prefer smaller quarters and I. Keep 2 pairs of them in a 10 gallon. Security is the key to apistos.

I've never kept borelli's, so I can't offer any insight on them. If that's the case, then ok. But, I know I would never put my cacs in a 10g. My male is 3.5" or so and pretty active. While he does like his little cave, he frequently explorers the rest of my 40 breeder. Of course, we're all entitled to opinions... that's just mine ;)

I've never kept borelli's, so I can't offer any insight on them. If that's the case, then ok. But, I know I would never put my cacs in a 10g. My male is 3.5" or so and pretty active. While he does like his little cave, he frequently explorers the rest of my 40 breeder. Of course, we're all entitled to opinions... that's just mine ;)

I agree that some of the larger species are pushing it and you will see more natural behavior in a larger tank.
You should definitely look into borelli they show some pretty unusual behavior, if you put mulitple pairs in a smaller tank, lets say 4 in a 20 long they all, males and females care for all of the fry as a group.

The type of display set up I would do in a 10 is something like 1 Apisto agassizi 5 pygmy corys and 5-6 Cherry shrimp then plant it with some low to medium light plants.

I respect your opinion but I'd still go with at least a 20 high, personally. This big borelli here is why I wouldn't keep apistos in a 10 gallon for the long term.
DSC_0016.JPG

Okay, perhaps apistos require a different amount than rams. What do you think a ram could be in?

I respect your opinion but I'd still go with at least a 20 high, personally. This big borelli here is why I wouldn't keep apistos in a 10 gallon for the long term.
DSC_0016.JPG

Wow that thing's a beast! Definitely an exceptional specimen. On the norm they don't get nealy that big, but I would love to have a pair of those giants.

Back
Top Bottom