Tank Setup Help/Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mbuna is a term that classifys a large variety of cichlids from the lake malawi isnt that correct? So i do plan on keeping different varieties of mbuna such as, electric, zebra, maingano, venustus, peacock, demasoni, Fuelleborni, as just some examples. Why not plants? i know they are rock fish but i have seen many tnaks with small ferns within the rocks ( the green looks good against the white rock) is there any reason i should not put plants? Ive been told that rams are harder to keep than cichlids. i have hard water already and planned on maintaining my water quality.

If I were you, I'd look up and research more on african cichlids in general and compatible tank mates that can go with the fish you choose. This would reduce the chances of unnecessary death and complications regarding water parameters and diet (especially since you're grouping carnivores with herbivores). "Peacock" and "Venustus" aren't mbuna, the Venustus is a Hap and the Peacock are Aulonocara species.

The reason why you shouldn't keep plants is because the majority of mbuna are herbivores, so they will rip apart any vegetation you have in the tank. As for mbuna being hard to keep, I concur and find that they're extremely hardy and can withstand harsh conditions for beginners. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do your research and keep water conditions in check. I doubt you're buying wild caught fish, so you have a bit more leeway.

Good post SD; I think I was leaning towards aggression more than water quality but am still shocked that mbuna are easier to keep than Rams, after reading up, it looks like they are.........

Back
Top Bottom