Tank size???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoor3773

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all. When starting in the hobby I made the huge mistake of rushing out and buying a tank without doing any research into the size of the tank the fish I were to keep would require. Therefore after a couple of weeks I was widely told that my current tank was not big enough for keeping my Malawi cichlids. I have therefore decided after gaining more experience to reinvest again in a new tank, however this time I want to go about it in the correct manner. As previously mentioned I have been keeping Malawi cichlids, their current tank is 80 inches long and has a capacity of 33gal. I have narrowed my search down for a new tank to two possibilities. Both are 60gal in capacity however one is 4ft long whilst the other is 40inches long however is taller. What's the best option or are they both no good?

With the new tank, Which would be better? I ve heard I need at least a 4ft tank for malawi s and I admit 40 inches isn't 4ft but it has the same volume as a 4ft tank. So therefore to answer the age old question, does length really matter?

Spoor3773 said:
With the new tank, Which would be better? I ve heard I need at least a 4ft tank for malawi s and I admit 40 inches isn't 4ft but it has the same volume as a 4ft tank. So therefore to answer the age old question, does length really matter?

Girth baby girth!!! LOL Malawi cichlids can get rather large, I would suggest anything from 75g. On up

60 gal the most I can afford. What would be better the 4ft tank or the 40inch but taller tank???

4 foot is the minimum to keep them. Making sure you provide lots of caves and hiding spots for them. The 4 foot provides more space for territories which helps with aggression .

Spoor3773 said:
their current tank is 80 inches long and has a capacity of 33gal. I have narrowed my search down for a new tank to two possibilities. Both are 60gal in capacity however one is 4ft long whilst the other is 40inches long however is taller. What's the best option or are they both no good?

80" long and holds 33 gallons?! That would be an almost 8' tank that is like 5 inches tall. Type-o?

48x12x21 55 gallon
48x19x22 75 gallon
72x19x24 125 gallons

Above are what I believe to be the "good, better, best" for African cichlids. When you say you can only afford a 60 gallon are you talking brand new? Check craigslist for good deals, I found my 90 gallon for $150, full set up. You could very easily use a 55 gallon for your fish, that 5 gallons isn't going to make allot of difference however that extra 8-12" in length will make allot of difference for your fish.

I meant 80 cm. So extra length is better than extra height for the same capacity tanks?

Fish swim side to side not up and down so unless you have fish like Angels that require deeper tanks because of their fins length>height.

If they start getting to aggressive then move everything around in the tank, they lose their territorial rights that way.

Back
Top Bottom