Tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peacockbass

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to upgrade my tank but I'm not sure what size I need. I don't want to blow my money on something that is not necessary. The fish it will be holding are

1 jack Dempsey
2 parrot cichlids
1 jaguar cichlid
2 convicts
1 venustus
1 albino African
I also would like to buy either a large catfish or a another large cichlid.

I have been looking at a 150 gallon aquarium, would this tank size be adequate?

First of all the African and venustus Is not the best choice. Next, you need roughly 200gallons for this stock, without the cat.

First of all the African and venustus Is not the best choice. Next, you need roughly 200gallons for this stock, without the cat.

I have also considered a 180, could I use this new stock?

1 jaguar
1 jack Dempsey
1 green terror
2 convicts
1 pike cichlid

I have also considered a 180, could I use this new stock?

1 jaguar
1 jack Dempsey
1 green terror
2 convicts
1 pike cichlid

I say without that pike you are 60 percent stocked. With that pike you are way overstocked. I recommend to stick to that list, add those parrots back in, get rid of that pike, and maybe another jack and another green terror.

I say without that pike you are 60 percent stocked. With that pike you are way overstocked. I recommend to stick to that list, add those parrots back in, get rid of that pike, and maybe another jack and another green terror.

I don't understand why the pike cichlid would take up 60% of my tank as it gets 10 inches

I don't understand why the pike cichlid would take up 60% of my tank as it gets 10 inches

Ul have to be very careful while choosing the size of the tank mates, if they are smaller than half the size of the pike, they will certainly become food and they should not be large enough to harm the pike.

U can try dwarf species like C. notophthalmus or C. urosema. Or try C. britskii, they are bigger but peaceful.

Still, I agree with cichlid keeper and would say its a bad idea. Pikes are superb predators, give him a separate tank and trust me...u will get hours of joy watching him in action.

It has a big bioload. Also it doesn't do well with different types of aggressive species. They are from lakes more north. Making them not the best for your tank. Unless you really want the fish I don't recommend it. Btw what filtration are you planning on.

It has a big bioload. Also it doesn't do well with different types of aggressive species. They are from lakes more north. Making them not the best for your tank. Unless you really want the fish I don't recommend it. Btw what filtration are you planning on.

I am planning on 2 aquaclear 110s and a probably an eheim canister

I am planning on 2 aquaclear 110s and a probably an eheim canister

Definitely recommend an eheim canister. Not sure if you know too much about them but the 2217 and the pro 3 are extremely efficient and keeps big tanks super clear. In my experience

Definitely recommend an eheim canister. Not sure if you know too much about them but the 2217 and the pro 3 are extremely efficient and keeps big tanks super clear. In my experience

Great then I will invest in one of those. I will try and be as smart as I can with my stocking list! I probably won't get a pike.

Back
Top Bottom