tank size for breeding cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman42

Aquarium Advice Addict
would a 40g be sufficient for breeding cichlids? ii would do dwarf cichlids, but they are hard to obtain. i was thinking 1m 3f OB peacocks.

forgot to add this, i want to breed africans.

im going to be rehome my africans and start all over so if i do decide to breed ill have no fish

i talked to my lfs, and they said they would give me instore credit for them

All I know is you should pick a type of fish that is hard to come by but still lays a lot of eggs.

Most fish stores will jump on rams, apistos, jack dempseys, and the lake with a T cichlids. Tangkynians. Lol. Huge spelling error, but you catch my drift.

Shell dwellers would be fun.

i wish i could do shell dwellers, but i can not find them any where. i could do rams, but i really would like to stick to africans.

and i dont think my tank is large enough for a pair of jacks

gman42 said:
40g breeder

I was just listing off some names :p you're right about insufficient space or jacks.

Go on AquaBid for Shellie's. There's some interesting species there!

You'd have to stick with smaller Mbuna like the Afras, smaller peacocks or some lake Tanganyika fish. Just a word of caution of the OB peacocks they are pretty common and are hard to sell. My LFS can't even sell them for 99 cents a pop.

would a 40g be sufficient for breeding cichlids? ii would do dwarf cichlids, but they are hard to obtain. i was thinking 1m 3f OB peacocks.

If you want to do OB Peacocks, I would recommend 2-3 additional females for your male. He is very persistent (Well mine is, and if you search Google, you'll find other people have problems with their aggression also) when he wants to mate and will chase your females to the top of the tank, even with elaborate rock work. This has happened to me in a 30 gallon with 4 females. The tank was most likely too small , so if you really wanted to breed OBs, a 55 gallon would be great. I have a high quality male, so getting rid of them isn't a problem.

img_1901533_0_0bfe19b9f5c5e8119149fc3649ae5ce4.jpg

funny how everyone says peacocks are so common. i cant find a single one at any of my lfs haha

I think it varies by location :p The only place I've seen OBs is at one of the four Petsmart stores I go to. I don't buy fish there, but I always like to see what they have in stock. I was lucky enough to find a Cichlid breeder on craigslist to sell me my female OBs.

around me peacocks are rare lol, OB peacocks cost $ 13 ea .

yea, different locations, and totally different prices and availability.

Back
Top Bottom