Tank stocking! Please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZacksFlowerhorn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have 2 Flowerhorn cichlids(which I will be selling When they get bigger) and 5 clown loaches at 1.5 inches each in a 55 gallon tank. (I feed them new spectrum wafers and they love it! Any idea how long it will take for them to get 6 inches?) the clowns ill be moving to a 200 gallon once they get 6 inches Btw. Anyways the 55 gallon has a 90 gallon filter and a 40 gallon filter, 3 very strong air stones, lots of hiding places, and blue gravel.. Could I put a silver tipped sharks in there? How big and how fast would it grow? How about slowly converting the tank to brackish and getting a snowflake eel(I'd convert the snow to brackish of course. I'm switching to sand soon so please help me with what my options are!! THANKS and happy Easter! :thanks:

Well silver tipped sharks grow huge, and I don't think a 55 could handle them. Well maybe for awhile, I don't know their growing rate. I don't know about brackish, because that is too tricky for me.

Well it's depends on their purchase size and growth rate. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to house them permanently though.

About the snowflake eel. They will eat fish, and could continue after eating just one. This is if you have smaller fish, but they usually don't. It could bite you if you try to hand feed it.

Ok but you Flowerhorns a 5 inches each. The clowns will be about 3 or 4 inches each when I put the snowflake in.. Is this fine? And thanksfor the help so far!!

I'm going to try to get a 5-7 inch snowflake eel by the way. Is pvc a good hiding place? I how about those rocks they use in reef tanks??? :eek:

Oh and so if I was taking the decor out or rearranging it. Should I be afraid of the eel biting me? :( do they have venom or anything like that? Sorry about all the questions.

I'm confused, I thought snowflake eels were saltwater. so, you're trying to have a snowflake eel in a freshwater tank? Or are you going to place it in a different tank?

No I'm slowly converting it to brackish water.. Then I'll convert the snow to brackish when I get it. I my friend and my uncle have done the same setup and it worked. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just worried about how the eel will act towards me. Lol

No I'm converting the 55 to brackish and when I get the snow ill convert it to brackish.they'll all be together till they get bigger

i dont understand this at all, snowflake eels belong in saltwater not brackish, they will not live a happy life in anything but saltwater and also will not live long in anything but saltwater, you shouldnt keep it in freshwater at all. you plan on putting this eel alone in the 55 gallon? if so it will need to be a saltwater tank. and you can find suitable tankmates by asking the people on the saltwater forum.

you will also have to wait until you rehome all of your other fish if you want to make it a saltwater tank, they wont handle the salt well

Yah, I didn't think you were putting the eel a brackish tank. If you turn it into a completely saltwater aquarium, house it with larger fish. It will eat any of your crustaceans, dunno about Gastropods. It might knock down frags also.

Back
Top Bottom