tank swap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperAlex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm really not sure where to post this question but here it goes...

I am trying to upgrade my cichlids from a 56g tall (currently running) to a 90g (not set up yet) but here is the problem, I also have a 50g long tank with angelfish and 2 ghost knives that I want to move into the 56 tall. I also want to put the new 90g for the cichlids in the exact spot where the 50 long angelfish tank is. What is the best way to go about doing this?

I just did the same recently, I used big plastic garbage cans, they are cheap, I filled them with water and put fish in them with an air stone and heater while I changed the tanks, filters ect around, then I used as much of my old water and added new, up and running in about 8 hours.

You don't have to use the old water..

If you have not cycled the 90g tank but have the filter for it, I would first run that filter on your
56g to get it cycled. You don't want to throw your cichlids into a uncycled tank.

Once you have that filter nice and cycled, then you would start the moving process, just keep the media filter wet for all your filters and the BB will survive.

You can empty the tanks all the way, just dechlorinate the new water, all your BB will be in your filters. There is almost no BB in your old water, therefore it is unneeded to use it.

Back
Top Bottom