Tankmate for Tiger Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use to have a tiger oscar and also a jack dempsy in the same tank. Also tons of smaller fish of all different kinds. The only thing my oscar cared about was food tho so he didnt bother others.

Megacichlid said:
Get an acei,even tho he's an african,they make excellent vacume cleaners for oscars

That's a terrible recommendation, those fish shouldn't be mixed. That Acei will end up becoming a snack for the Oscar.

I don't care if it's done somewhere else African and south Americans should not be mixed. People claim that they have done it and everything is fine, congratulations you have kept two fish that can live 10 years plus together and alive for the last 6 months to a year.

Proper research should be done before purchasing a tank and fish for it, not just buying whatever looks cool or is pretty. A tank should be stocked according to the ADULT size of the fish not what size the fish is when its purchased. If you want Oscars don't buy a tank smaller than 75-90 gallons, don't have a room/ can't a afford one, looks like you shouldn't be buying oscars then.

Herotilapia_Multispinosa said:
depends alot on tank size, many reccomend no tank mates in anything under 90 gallons.

I agree with this, unless the tank in indeed 90 or more no tank mates should be added from a water quality stand point.

If your tank is massive like 90-110+ Gallons then you can have some really big giant danios or roseline barbs, a big pleco like a sailfin, or something equally aggressive like a green terror. This is all if you have a big tank and a proper filtration, oscars alone can mess up water quality if you're not persistent and dilligent about it.

Mogurako said:
That's a terrible recommendation, those fish shouldn't be mixed. That Acei will end up becoming a snack for the Oscar.

I don't care if it's done somewhere else African and south Americans should not be mixed. People claim that they have done it and everything is fine, congratulations you have kept two fish that can live 10 years plus together and alive for the last 6 months to a year.

Proper research should be done before purchasing a tank and fish for it, not just buying whatever looks cool or is pretty. A tank should be stocked according to the ADULT size of the fish not what size the fish is when its purchased. If you want Oscars don't buy a tank smaller than 75-90 gallons, don't have a room/ can't a afford one, looks like you shouldn't be buying oscars then.

I agree with this, unless the tank in indeed 90 or more no tank mates should be added from a water quality stand point.

That sounds accurate to me. Good post.

Back
Top Bottom