Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could have mixed results with this. I found my green terror to be too aggressive for an Oscar.

monicawells said:
What about an oscar and a green terror?

IME you will find they will be ok together until the GT reaches it's teenage years (theoretically speaking) and then it will more than likely turn on the Oscar.

Even though the Oscar will grow much quicker and larger than the GT IME the GT is a much more aggressive fish, male or female.

What size tank are we talking here? Depending on the size you could always do 2 Oscars. However a single Oscar alone in a tank does develop allot more personality.

It is a 60 gal tank-- want to add a 125 after the first of the year. Right now just looking for something to share with an oscar. In the past (almost 20 years ago), I had a 125 with one oscar, one very large pacu, 2 JDs and a large pleco. Got them all as babies, and everyone got along great. Never had an issue. Also had a 90 gal tank with 1 GT, 2 generic catfish (which grew to over 2 ft in length), 2 large tinfoil barbs and some smaller africans. Once again, no problems. These set-ups were when I was in college and relying on the advice of petshop workers, as there was no internet for easy researching. I managed to have healthy tanks for over 5 years in my ignorance cloud and never lost a fish despite the improbable tank mixes. One day, for no apparent reason, my ex-husband decided to dump a bunch of live feeders in both tanks. Within two weeks, everyone was dead and I was devastated at this sudden end to my aquarium success. I lost my will to keep fish after that.
Now I am older, smarter, and ready to give it another go. Starting slow, but doing it right. Thanks to everyone who posts to me with ideas and advice.

If it's just a 60 gallon I would just go with one Oscar until you upgrade to a larger tank later on. Maybe a bristle nose pleco for alage.

I have an albino tiger Oscar and he grew so so fast. Much faster than I imagined. But a great fish to watch!!!

Roundtree said:
I have an albino tiger Oscar and he grew so so fast. Much faster than I imagined. But a great fish to watch!!!

Agreed :) my Oscar grew to almost a foot in less than a year

Coursair said:
Many of my customers had good luck with Oscar JD combo, esp. If they grew up together.

I wouldn't advise that, if you do try it i would not try it in anything less than a 6' tank. Those fish like to claim huge chunks of the tank as their territories.

Honestly I have my EBJD in with my Oscar and have no problems whatsoever with them. They don't pay eachother any mind. But I just might of got lucky. However ebjds aren't supposed to be as aggressive as the regular jds. But that's only in my experience. Don't know if it be the same for u. Just depends on the fishes individual attitudes.

Back
Top Bottom