Tankmates for a 30 gal with breeding keyhole cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
HI,

The 30 gal is tall tank. Dimensions: 31,5 inch long x 13,8 inch wide x 17.73 inch high.
I'm currently keeping my pair of keyholes in this tank. (Yes, they have bonded, and the other 3 had to go back :( , but on the bright side, i've got a nice pair of breeding fish :D )
Here's what i have in my 20 gal:
-7 chinese danios
-1 albino pleco
-2 SAE
-1 shrimpy
(haven't adjusted my sig yet, i'll do that later.)

Now, here's what i want, but can i get it.................I want to keep a beautifull marble angelfish. Could i put them in the tank with my breeding keyholes? or is this asking for trouble? If i could do this, i would offcourse start with a young angel, no fullgrown for me (too much $$).

If not possible, i would like to move my 2 SAE to the 30gal and the 7 chinese danios.
Then i would go out and get 2 more albino plecs and some gups for my 20 gal. (hoping to breed the albino plecs as well......allthough it will be hard in a tank with other fish i believe).

Any advice? If i want to breed, do i keep the tank for the breeding pair and fry? Am i thinking too big? Too little space for too much breeding?

TIA

Well speaking from experience, the answer to your last question is YES. Problems will arise with a breeding pair of Keyholes and any other fish in the tank. Plus, you have to prepare for exactly what you're going to do with the young as they grow.

As far as albino plecs go. If the conditions are right, they will spawn in a community tank.

Well......i know i'll have to keep space available for the keyhole fry......but it's just that.....there are sooo many beautifull fishies........ :( ...........and so little space.....

Guess i'll have to learn to live with this, since my mother isn't going to allow me anymore tanks in my room (i'm 18 ).

I think i'll get rid of the chinese danios and the SAE (no, not going sleeping with the fishies, i'll take them back to lfs). I'll just get another 2 plecos for my 20 gal. I'll put in some gups in the 30 gal and raise the fry in the 20 gal. Once my keyholes succesfully spawn, i'll remove the gups from my 30 to my 20 gal.
As to how many fry i can raise? i have no idea, but if i get, let's say 20 to a 1/3 inch size, i'll move half to my 20 gal and let them grow to about the size i got the parents at the lfs (still with me?). I'll raise as much as my tanks can support and then take them to my lfs once decent in size.
As for guppy fry.....they can always be desposed of......i for one will not mourn them.....I could offcourse give them to my 10 year old stephbrother, but he would probably get them killed anyway.

:| :fadein: :crazyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom