Tankmates for Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Theyre a great lake malawi cichlid. Work with peacocks well. Fantastic coloration. Alot of people dont seem to know abt them. I keep a group of them. Absolutely beautiful fish.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also i was curious, abt your probs with adding a male... How many females does he have now?

Theyre a great lake malawi cichlid. Work with peacocks well. Fantastic coloration. Alot of people dont seem to know abt them. I keep a group of them. Absolutely beautiful fish.

Pundamilia Neyeri are a lake Victoria species, not Malawi

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you tried the time out method. I used it when I had the same problem and it worked great. Take him out for a couple days add a bunch of other peacocks let them get established and then add him back in.

Also i was curious, abt your probs with adding a male... How many females does he have now?

There lies part of the problem. Currently he only has one female (if you can call it that, aside from breeding with her he has nothing to do with her, he is aggressive towards her as well, but they've spawned 4 times now.) I've been searching all my LFS for months and haven't found any that were large enough.

He needs at least 3 fenales to himself. Thats why hes so aggressive to other males. If you put 7 females or more in he would be much more receptive to a male. But if you try it. Make sure you add the fems and male at same time.

He needs at least 3 fenales to himself. Thats why hes so aggressive to other males. If you put 7 females or more in he would be much more receptive to a male. But if you try it. Make sure you add the fems and male at same time.

Well that's where I'm sort of torn. I'm not sure if I want to add more females or remove the one I have. I'm not trying to breed them. He has also spent a month without the female in the tank and he was still his usual self.

Id say he was probably more chill without her in there.

Peacocks do best in groups. It spreads the aggression.

Same would apply with all male peacock tanks. If theres only a few the aggresion is too directed. If theres a group, it will be spread. This would work with adding any lake victoria cichlid in with him. Its abt numbers. Hes the alpha! If ya add 1 or so he'll direct all attention to them. if you add several and rearrange his territory he wont be able to project on one fish. Hence the amount of aggresion is lessened. And he'll be too busy trying to move substrate for his new territory to bother with them after the initial introduction of others. Also it helps to take him out, and rearrange. Then add him back in with the new guys. Makes it like a fresh start for all. Puts them on level ground. A pecking order will always happen and somwone will have to be the butt end.

Alright so I finally made it to the new LFS and let me say it was amazing. Thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of corals and SW fish and some nice African cichlids. I wasn't able to get any female peacocks but I got another electric yellow to bring that group up to 3 and 3 more acei to make 4 total. Still need to find 3 female peacocks and I think I'll be done.

Back
Top Bottom