Tankmates for Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMRC Exotics

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 60 gallon 48 inch tank with ample filtration. Currently the tank houses two peacock cichlids, 2 electric yellows, 1 acei, 1 convict, 1 rainbow shark.

I'm trying to find tank mates to accent the male peacock. Any other male peacocks appear to be out of the question as he doesn't tolerate them. I want two more females but have had trouble finding any.

Past female peacocks what could be good tank mates for him that pose no danger to the peacock as he is the tank centerpiece. (Tank is too small for most haps).

Most mbuna are a no go, I've even had trouble with my lab nipping lately. The acei is a model citizen. Same with the convict who is being moved soon. Hence the need for compatible tank mates. I'm looking for any suggestions.

I started with a myriad of unsuitable tank mates, I'm now homing in on a safe stocking, just looking for suggestions to finalize the tank

Here is a pic of the tank star, Aulonocara hansbaenchi, Poseidon.

Attachments

• 1434849436506.jpg
    1434849436506.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 110
Any suggestions? I'm looking at adding two more acei to create a group of three. One more yellow lab to create a group of three.

Even counting those fish as hypothetically added I'm still only at 8 cichlids including the peacocks (not including the convict). What else could I add that will pose no danger to the peacock. Any mbuna I've missed? Any other Malawi species with a mild tempermant? He is really aggressive towards his own kind so I feel an all peacock tank (all male or mixed to proper m/f ratios) is out of the question.

If no cichlid alternatives exist can anyone recommend a dither fish(I know, incorrect usage of the term) to take away some attention but still be viable, perhaps bosemanis or another large schooler? I'm looking for any suggestions as understocked cichlid info is rare on the web, generally these tanks are stocked to the breaking point. As a now careful stocker I have the opposite problem. So what can thrive with my Africans?

What about some white tail/ngara acei? I have a few in my tank. They're my favorites in my own tank for some weird reason

White-Tail-Acei-Pseudotropheus-acei-“ngara”2.jpg

My ngara's are just like yellow tails and labs. Really don't even notice they're in the tank. I only have two Aulonocara species, my jacobfreibergi has gotten beat to bits both times I have tried introducing him, so lives with my Molly's. My baenschi is with my mbuna, but no one has ever messed with him, not even once. My two OBP's are with the mbuna as well. My fish are weird though. There is a single tiger barb that's been with them since I stocked the tank and no one gives two craps about him being there.

Otopharynx lithobates are pretty popular in peacock/hap tanks

Jesse

You know ive got juvies if your peacocks. If you need females.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think you aren't getting many replies because the general idea is peacocks with peacocks. An all male peacock tank is stunning in my opinion and I'm not into Africans

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think you aren't getting many replies because the general idea is peacocks with peacocks. An all male peacock tank is stunning in my opinion and I'm not into Africans

I understand mike. Unfortunately my male will not co exist with other males at all. Even females only get barely tolerated. I'm just not sure which direction to go.

I'm in no way sure about this so this is just me probably giving bad advice but have you tried rearranging then adding the maximum amount all at once?
Again I'm just repeating what I semester to remember about stocking peacock tanks. Then I believe you have to alow them to establish a pecking order. Again this is just me regurgitating what I remember.
Maybe try to pm Andrew. I think he kept peacocks.
As far as keeping him as a centerpiece and stocking some smaller fish I think that's going to be trial and error.

I'm in no way sure about this so this is just me probably giving bad advice but have you tried rearranging then adding the maximum amount all at once?
Again I'm just repeating what I semester to remember about stocking peacock tanks. Then I believe you have to alow them to establish a pecking order. Again this is just me regurgitating what I remember.
Maybe try to pm Andrew. I think he kept peacocks.
As far as keeping him as a centerpiece and stocking some smaller fish I think that's going to be trial and error.

Yeah I understand about the trial and error, I've played that game. It doesn't usually end well. I've tried numerous times to incorporate other peacocks while rearranging, he just doesn't go for it. Its all or nothing with him. I'm going to try to find enough females to keep him busy with women, it works for my life, the wife always has things for you to do lol. In that void I hope to add another electric yellow and two more acei. I'd love to find another species that can mix without risk of fighting him. I think 60(55 footprint) is too small for any haps correct? Or am I mistaken?

Yeah I understand about the trial and error, I've played that game. It doesn't usually end well. I've tried numerous times to incorporate other peacocks while rearranging, he just doesn't go for it. Its all or nothing with him. I'm going to try to find enough females to keep him busy with women, it works for my life, the wife always has things for you to do lol. In that void I hope to add another electric yellow and two more acei. I'd love to find another species that can mix without risk of fighting him. I think 60(55 footprint) is too small for any haps correct? Or am I mistaken?

I believe you are right about the haps. most reach the 7 to 10" mark.

What about an OB Peacock.. From my understanding they are a peacock/zebra hybrid... I think?... I have one and he holds his ownImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435020679.829945.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you trade him in and start with new peacocks? Seems like the easier route to me

Can you trade him in and start with new peacocks? Seems like the easier route to me

No, I wouldn't even consider trading him in. He has been the alpha in each of my tanks for a year and a half now. His conspecific aggression is bad but he is relatively indifferent towards other species. If I had to keep him by his self in a tank he would still stay here.

Back
Top Bottom