Tankmates for Severums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My boyfriend's mom is giving me some of her Severums from her breeding pair (they got a little too happy and had over 60 babies that survived). My question is, what is compatible with these? I was thinking about getting a Pleco, but I wanted to know if there was anything else I could put with them. TIA

depends the size of the tank really, but they can go with some other types of SA cichlids like: Convicts, Jack Dempseys, Salvinis, firemouths, acaras ect

it's a 55 gal. I wouldn't mind keeping some firemouths, but another question I have is would it be better for me to keep plastic or real plants? I really want real ones, but I don't want them to get dug up if you kwim? Also, will these cichlids or the firemouths attack the heater? I hope not, lol.

In my experince these cichlids wont attack your heater :wink:

As for real plants, i have a tank w/ jack dempseys couple eartheaters and they dont touch the plants there more focused on eating :)

My JD's eat lettice all the time, and I have been told they will eat your plants too. I have no personal experience with them eating aquarium plants, because what I have read and been told is that they will just make for an expensive snack. However, I have not seen them eat aquarium plants.

why not just a bunch of severums and just smaller fish like tetras

Severums are my favorite FW fish. There tough enough to hold their own against aggressive fish and mild mannered to other non aggressive fish. As long they don't look like dinner. I like Clown Loaches, they can defend them selves against more aggressive fish with switch blades under their eyes.

Wow! How did this thing get dug up? I never did get the severums...I may do them in a tank when we move though...

could you keep a breeding pair of firemouths with a severum in a 65gal. i have a severum and would like to have a breeding pair of something with it. any suggestions?

i have one severum with a firemouth and 2 blue haps. they seem to be fine together, even in a smaller tank, i hope to move them soon. they have seemed to establish a pecking order and leave eachother alone, all look very healthy, no fin nips. theyve been peaceful so far, from what ive seen.

I have a breeding pair of severums, and in thier tank is a breeding pair of jewels and a blue acara

I was wondering what kind of tank mates my Green Severum would get along with too... It's in a 55 gallon with a pair of peppered cory's, a 8 1/2" pleco (who can take some rather big dumps and I am ready to rehouse him to someone with a bigger tank), and a pair of black phantom tetras. I did have 7 Harlequin Rasboras but they must have been the perfect size night time snack for him...

Back
Top Bottom