Teach me about Shellies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm thinking (pretty dead set on provided I have the $$$) of getting some shell dwellers.

What do I need? I know I need shells...Should I get aragonite sand? Regular pfs? Do they dig? How many can I have in a 20 long? I pretty much have most of the equipment I'd need: Filter, heater, tank (I can scrounge up a light) etc.

Should I get a hood?

cycling won't be a problem...I have plenty of seed material..about a 30 gallon barrel of it in the form of a pond filter.

Last edited:
Should I get blue lighting for my shellies? I know that for africans people use at least one actinic or 20k bulb to make their colors pop. I'm not sure if I should do the same. Doing blue lighting will definitely up the cost though...

I keep my multis in a standard 15g with the black and white cichlid sand, a handful of needle leaf java ferns and moss, and a bunch of seashells. No hood, but I did have a one instance of a jumper, managed to land in the tank next door.

When I had my ocellatus gold I also kept them with the black and white cichlid sand from CaribSea. It buffers the water and looks awesome. Aragonite will do the same. You can use escargot shells, or you might be able to find the "right" type (I can't think of the name of them) on Aquabid or Ebay. I also used a few pieces of TX holey rock in addition to my shells. My ocellatus seemed to like both.

The blue lighting (actinic) is mostly used to make the color pop on Mbuna. Tanganyikans are generally less colorful (but IMO more interesting). Regardless, the lighting is totally up to you.

I have old escargot in my fridge....So I'm guessing I can get away with a cheapo shop light I have lying around?

I had two multi tanks. One was tahitian black moonsand (hated it... too fine), the other was a planted tank with PFS. They don't eat plants (at least, mine didn't). I had some shells until I threw them out last week... They're really an undemanding fish. They stay in their little shells, breed like rabbits, and are just generally fun fish to have. You could easily keep 20 in a 20 long. I had well over 25 in my 10 until I moved half of them. Just remember, if you move them, keep the shells in water at all times. A cup comes in very handy.

Yes to the light, im not running anything special on mine (a daylight bulb). I have Lamprologus Brevis in a 15 gallon with some hornwort.

I found these big clay shells that look real, but I only have three of those. I use hermit crab shells, and escargot shells. The hermit crab shells are better for pairs because they both fit in. While the fry hang around some escargot shells.

I use crush aragonite along with lace rock to keep my pH up around 8-8.1. Honestly, these fish may lack color but they develop amazing personalities.

I have a question, since they're so easy to breed why are they so expensive? Like that fish place sells multis for $25, brevis for $17

No idea. My LFS has em for like 10 bucks a pop and I see people bring them in shells and all all the time.

I never understood why they were expensive either. They seriously breed like crazy. You don't have to do anything special either. Just feed them a good quality food, do your water changes, and give them shells.

Gah. I'm so torn on these guys. They sound so cool.... it's just those little expenses. I have a filter, I can jury rig a light with a 4 foot shop light I have and then I have the tank. It's the sand and also building/finding a place to put the tank....hmm...

One of the reasons I'm unsure about this is also because tanks in my room make it really humid. It's already unbearably so in H-town. How much do 30" glass canopies cost? I'm guessing I can make one out of super glue + egg crate + glass panels or something...

Last edited:
PFS works fine with them. they don't *need* that high pH that they come from naturally. Chances are, your source didn't breed them in that high pH anyways. Just for reference, you could get the best of both worlds... your plants, and these fish:

No plants, ignore the algae... this is a pic from the day I got the tank/fish:
img_1451597_0_cf0760e8f12f14daad302c4531b6b4e3.jpg

With plants, PFS, and an AC20:
img_1451597_1_4ae2d5c2419feeb90ad5dbce7611692f.jpg

And the other with some 3' long anacharis stems:
img_1451597_2_9936d514e483423a11552c1551eafa0c.jpg

Obviously, not the greatest ideas... but something to stir your imagination?

My mom also wants me to set up one of my extra tanks for her to grow taro/lilies in so I was also hoping I could save up for some desert gobies. We'll see I guess lol.

They aren't too expensive if bought online through hobbyists. One of my friends sells her multi fry usually for a dollar or two each.

if you want an awesome goby, check out empire gudgeons :)

Back
Top Bottom