temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 40 gallon fish tank, and i bought a aquaeon 150 watt heater, it us rated for up to a 55 gallon tank. My dad sets pur house temp to a freezing 64-66 degrees. My stick on thermometer is saying 74 to 76 degrees, and mu glass thermometer is saying 75 degrees. My fish are all african cichlids, and they prefer a temp of 74-80 degrees. What should i do???????????

So the heater is keeping the temperature steady at 75'? I keep my temp closer to 80, it's always either 78 or 79. But, if you raise the temp be sure to do it slowly and do it when you will be home a lot so you can keep an eye on the temp to be sure it doesn't go too high.

With that being said, if it's steady at 75 I think it's fine.

well my heater is usually on82 degrees, and my tank will be at 78, but i was gone for a day and my tank dropped 3 degrees, and my heater will only go up to 86 degrees.

A lot of times the temp on the heater dial may not match up with the actual water temp. Again, the main thing is to avoid temperature swings / rapid temp changes. When set at 82 does it normally keep the tank at a steady 78?

yea my house is below room temp so it doesnt maych up

gman42 said:
yea my house is below room temp so it doesnt maych up

You might consider a second heater to keep the heat even in the tank. Is that a yellow-tail Ps.Acei in your profile pic? Nice.

yea he is my favorite, hes so bright, and is pretty nice to my other cichlids

Back
Top Bottom