temps for Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foster53

Aquarium Advice Addict
I switched one of my tanks over to Discus for my wife and want to add some smaller non aggressive fish to it. My question is can Bolivian Rams thrive in 84 degree water? I keep German Blues, and Golds in about 80 degree water, but unsure about the Bolivians.

I switched one of my tanks over to Discus for my wife and want to add some smaller non aggressive fish to it. My question is can Bolivian Rams thrive in 84 degree water? I keep German Blues, and Golds in about 80 degree water, but unsure about the Bolivians.

They like it 72-79° F

I thought about putting some of the Rams in with the Discus, but I really don't want to keep the same fish in 2 different tanks. Would rather have a different species.

Maybe apistogrammas ..not sure of temp requirements but the are colorful

Oh I thought they were the same tempermant as Bolivian rams. Yea with discus you don't want any aggression

Oh I thought they were the same tempermant as Bolivian rams. Yea with discus you don't want any aggression

Apistos are a little mean, alsong as everyone is well fed and have enough space it will be ok but to be on the safe side i would go with bolivians if you could meet them half way at 82°. If you could it would be ok

They can be aggresive

And where are you pulling that information from? Seeing as there are about 60 different species, that seems like an incredibly blanketed (and untrue) statement. While yes, there are some feistier (and I use that word because its generally not true aggression, just territorial) species, like panduro and nijsseni, most are quite calm and passive, similar to that of mikrogeophgus ramirezi. Not to mention, any "aggression" put out by an apisto generally would not phase discus. With all that said, mikrogeophgus ramirezi tend to be my suggestion for a tankmate for discus, as their colors compliment them well

And where are you pulling that information from? Seeing as there are about 60 different species, that seems like an incredibly blanketed (and untrue) statement. While yes, there are some feistier (and I use that word because its generally not true aggression, just territorial) species, like panduro and nijsseni, most are quite calm and passive, similar to that of mikrogeophgus ramirezi. Not to mention, any "aggression" put out by an apisto generally would not phase discus. With all that said, mikrogeophgus ramirezi tend to be my suggestion for a tankmate for discus, as their colors compliment them well

I'm with freak, and Appistos cannot thrive with Discus. They are similar to Bolivians in temperature requirements. German blues and their color morphs would be good with Discus because the enjoy the higher temps as well.

I definitely agree with freak and shenanigans on both counts. Apisto's aren't aggressive fish but they're temps are all wrong for a discus tank. Bolivians too are the wrong temp, and you tend to find if you try to meet in the middle with temps neither species is happy. Ramirez are the best fit by far with discus in all colour morphs. At the right temp they'll colour up beautifully and really thrive.

Back
Top Bottom