Test Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed that if I go to PetCo or PetSmart, that they use multi-purpose dip strips similar to what one would use to test a kiddy pool. My LFS whipped out something of a chemistry set in a tackle box with an array of chemicals, miniature beakers and test tubes where they seemingly tested much more scientifically. Are the multi-purpose dip strips sufficient for the layman, or does one really need to pay more for a professional grade test kit? I would like some recommendations on affordable, readily available test kits; preferably one you could pick up in a store without having to order online. ~thanks

Api master test kit. Can find at oetco but cheaper on amazon. The strips are known for being inaccurate and personally wouldn't use them.

Today I had a ruby clown that died. I bought it yesterday. I have a api tester kit. So I test my water 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 amonia 8.2 ph. I took some water out of my tank to petco. This guy had test strips so he did the test and sad that my nitrite was a littel bit high but in a range. Than he had the ammonia strip that was 0 than he talk about my water how high I have my heater I sad up to 78. There water temp was on 88 in the store. But de ruby clown fish was up side down in the bag still a live. But I trade it in four 3 bleu German rams API test kit is great. But it is 32 dollars worth it

in the long run the liquid tests are cheaper than the test strips. they are also more accurate. i test almost everyday so that cost really would add up if i used the strips. and again not as accurate.

Dreamingdragon said:
Today I had a ruby clown that died. I bought it yesterday. I have a api tester kit. So I test my water 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 amonia 8.2 ph. I took some water out of my tank to petco. This guy had test strips so he did the test and sad that my nitrite was a littel bit high but in a range. Than he had the ammonia strip that was 0 than he talk about my water how high I have my heater I sad up to 78. There water temp was on 88 in the store. But de ruby clown fish was up side down in the bag still a live. But I trade it in four 3 bleu German rams API test kit is great. But it is 32 dollars worth it

You found German Rams at Petco? All I ever see in there is the occasional couple of Yellow Labs, Jack Dempseys, and Tiger Oscars; and of course the notorious and non-descript "Africans" tank.

I talk to the guy of petco. They always had the same fish. Boring fish. So I sad I want to order fish. But the store it's self didn't want that. After a few discussion. He could free order fish. I told him that they will sell much more. Sind a few month he sell a lot of fish. Thank to oll cichlid lover. That had a complain a bout there stocking of petco. so lucky me that I have the German rams in today

Back
Top Bottom