Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The Elusive Electric Pink Jack Dempsey

I recently received what I believe to be an electric PINK JD - any thoughts of what he will turn out to look like? I've never actually seen a pic of a full grown one, and I'm kinda worried he's just gonna end up being a platinum (which would still be cool).Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392419109.052680.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	222651

Old 02-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #2

Also - I bought him in kinda rough condition, so he's still coloring up and he had a fungal infection that is almost gone - other than that he's bueno.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I love him. Does look like a platinum though. I'm considering these when I'm able to get a much, much larger tank.
anachrotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's reasons you don't see many adult ebjds, epjds, or pjds...they're typically very weak genetically and often don't survive past the 3-4" mark. They often look great, then suddenly become lethargic, and start to wither away. There's a debate on where the come from, some say they're line bred, some say they're a hybrid with nandopsis haitiensis. After speaking with some people very involved in the hobby, one of them being one of the better pleco breeders in the country, I do actually believe they are a hybrid with haitiensis, which would lead them to being overall weak genetically.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
There's reasons you don't see many adult ebjds, epjds, or pjds...they're typically very weak genetically and often don't survive past the 3-4" mark. They often look great, then suddenly become lethargic, and start to wither away. There's a debate on where the come from, some say they're line bred, some say they're a hybrid with nandopsis haitiensis. After speaking with some people very involved in the hobby, one of them being one of the better pleco breeders in the country, I do actually believe they are a hybrid with haitiensis, which would lead them to being overall weak genetically.
I can see that. When my guy was younger, he was rather 'beaky'. The beak did diminish as he hit his fourth year.
anachrotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post

I didn't know that - let's hope that doesn't happen to him. Do you think good water quality and diet could counter act that at all?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

They aren't hybrids I don't think
Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hence why I said that "there's a debate if they are truly line bred or hybrids"...they very well could be hybrids due to many features that don't match a regular roccio octofasciata, like the beak mentioned earlier, as well as the odd coloring. In other species where the electric blue gene is present, it is seen more as an overlap of bright blue on their regular pattern, such as electric blue rams (mikrogeophagus ramirezi) and electric blue acara (aequidens pulcher).

Tags
electric, jack dempsey, pink

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com