The infamous wolfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaPony87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Actually saw one of the suckers at PetCo today! It was the only fish in the tank when it was supposed ot have some needle nose gar in it. I wonder what ever happened to the gar....

Wolf Fish....relatively primitive members of the Characoids (tetras and their relatives). Mostly in the genera of Hoplias and Erythrinus. VERY hungry predatory fish with teeth that actually can present a danger to their keeper. Some species (Hoplias macrophthalmus, for example) can reach a meter or more in length. Relatively inactive until it is feeding time and then they're fast as lightning!!! I used to own a few Hoplias malabaricus and they were the only fish I've ever owned (including piranhas) that I was actually really nervous about putting my hand in the aquarium with.

-Joe

How large do they grow? I was searching for them online and found a site that sells all sorts of crazy fish - http://www.riverwonders.com
They are under the gallery section. The picture they have of them does not show the teeth off very well though.

wolf fish, thats not a relation to the atlantic ones we catch offshore is it, bony head, eel like body, crusher plates on the roof of their mouth, grayish in color???

The freshwater 'Wolf Fish' and the saltwater 'Wolf Fish' are not the same. In fact...they're not particularly closely related. The largest of the freshwater flavor is Hoplias macrophthalmus that can reach a meter (~3 feet) in length. Obviously from the above picture....the saltwater species can get significantly bigger.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom