The Johannii's Gotta Go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, my LFS was wrong and everyone else on earth was right: M. Johannii's are not good tankmates to go with mild-tempered Malawis like Yellow Labs, Ps.Acei, or Peacocks. I noticed he has been a little ornery, but not overly so. Now, however, I'm coming home to find bits and pieces of fins missing from smaller fish. I guess I'll need to try to negotiate a trade or resort to a donation otherwise. Too bad, the Johannii is really nice-looking.

I'll go back to advice I now give to others. LFS "experts" opinions need to be weighed with the opinions of folks on forums like this one before deciding on a purchase. Unfortunately I was convinced to purchase the Johannii several months ago when I didn't know any better and was in the "live and learn" stage.

i just got two johannis. i got them because they were basically the only africans from the shop i could put in my mbuna tank without them getting shredded. seriously they are made of tough (evil) stuff and shouldnt be with nicer fish :L

i hope your tank settles soon, with or without the johannis x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
i just got two johannis. i got them because they were basically the only africans from the shop i could put in my mbuna tank without them getting shredded. seriously they are made of tough (evil) stuff and shouldnt be with nicer fish :L

i hope your tank settles soon, with or without the johannis x

You may want to peek under their skirts, so to speak. M.Johannis have an extremely aggressive conspecific temperament. If you have two males, they are likely to be quite violent with each other, possibly to the point of death. If you have only one male with only one female, he may stress her to death by being overly "affectionate." Two females would be the safest bet. You probably know this already.

i do! i have heard so many stories lol. but tbh, they seem quite shy. they know the pecking order (you havnt met my OB zebra!!). the female is a bright yellow, he's dark blue with striking stripes. i think they are too big to change colour anymore (3.5in).

i guess the tank isnt working then.... how bad ARE the injuries? x

Probably be less trouble if you had 5 to argue among themselves. I don't think johanni are any meaner than maingano, and I have 5 of those in a 75 with ruby red peacocks, BN pleco's, and Synodontis petricola and lucipinnis.

i do! i have heard so many stories lol. but tbh, they seem quite shy. they know the pecking order (you havnt met my OB zebra!!). the female is a bright yellow, he's dark blue with striking stripes. i think they are too big to change colour anymore (3.5in).

i guess the tank isnt working then.... how bad ARE the injuries? x

I have entire pectoral fins that have been ripped off on two juvie Ps.Acies, and half of a tail missing on one of them as well. Two others have ragged fins/tail as well. The Johannii's gotta go soon.

oh my lordy thats damage O.O

umm i think i agree. but i had a meeaan nasty kenyi and iv also had a nice kenyi. so fish really are down to the individual and i think u got unlucky :( x

oh my lordy thats damage O.O

umm i think i agree. but i had a meeaan nasty kenyi and iv also had a nice kenyi. so fish really are down to the individual and i think u got unlucky :( x

Too bad. It's the nicest looking fish in the tank. Seems like the best looking ones are the most hostile. Kind of like a lot of people...

id say the same... but my best friend is stunning, model material. but the sweetest shyest thing you will meet!
i think there is a similar coloured fish that has a nicer temperament. maybe just google malawis and see what else is cool :) xx

I just had to get rid of my johannii I had him like 3 months and he grew almost 2 inches and would not leave the other fish alone. After I got rid of him my fish started loving life. When the previous aggressor started trying to take the tank over again all the fish were not even phased

Come to find my fin problems were not from the Johannii, but from disease. I fixed the disease. So I guess I'll leave the Johannii in there until/unless I actually witness him attacking another fish enough to cause damage.

Back
Top Bottom