The krib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skinner6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Today i purchased two krib for my tank.
1 male about 4 inches
and a female about 2.5 "

i was wondering if they would breed in my 13 gallon tank
which consists of 1 red tailed black shark , 2 clown loaches , 1 flying fox , and 2 bristle nosed catfish .
any advice would be appreciated

Well for one, that tank is way to small for those other fish you have.

It would be fine for the kribs, but the other fish are too big, it would also be fine for the Bristle nose catfish a.k.a. BN pleco, they get from 3-5 in but don't require swimming room, but they will snag a fry or two if you are trying to breed the kribs.

red-tail will get 6 inches
clown loaches will get 12 inches
flying fox will get 5.5 inches

For your setup, you should have atleast a 29 gallon tank. With the fish you have.

I think my krib are getting ready to spawn?
The male seems to be cleaning and moving the pebbles out of an ornament in my tank.
he is also very defensive of this ornament.
the female looks like she is "dancing" towards the male, by this i mean like a shaking motion.
is this signs that they are going to breed?
they even keep my red tailed shark away from this possible breeding spot

I would think that even if they do breed, it won't last long with the other fish that you have.

Agreed that the tank is way to small for your current fish, and that isn't even counting the new additions.

Please consider returning the red tail and the loaches to your pet store, or purchasing a bigger tank.

That does sounds like they are getting ready to breed, the only problem is that when the fry hatch, you prob. won't have time to remove them before your loaches, red-tailed shark, and SAE eats them. They are all pretty much in that bottom feeder family, which the fry will be at the bottom until they can start free swimming in about 3-4 days. Since they will be at the bottom, this will make a great snack for all those bottom feeders you have.

If you are getting serious into breeder these guys, you either want to take all the fish back to your LFS besides the kribs, let the kribs breed and such and then sell the fry. After you get more money you can then go and buy a bigger tank and get some of those fish back that you previously had.

The other option is just to buy a bigger tank now, but that's if you have the money. Even if you do get a bigger tank, your loaches should be kept in schools of 4 or more. Since they get soo big, they need bigger tanks to be kept in schools, and I don't know if you would be able to get something like a 120G tank for them. If you do decide to get a bigger tank and can't get a big one like I suggest, I would take those loaches back and maybe get some other loaches that stay fairly small. Say suitable for a 55 gallon.

Today i purchased two krib for my tank.
1 male about 4 inches
and a female about 2.5 "

i was wondering if they would breed in my 13 gallon tank
which consists of 1 red tailed black shark , 2 clown loaches , 1 flying fox , and 2 bristle nosed catfish .
any advice would be appreciated

Well, assuming you get rid of the Loaches, the bristlnose, and the RTBS, they will live a happy life and spawn readily. If you dont remove them, they can:
Feel cramped, and not want to breed
Want to breed and harm/ kill your other fish
Or they could breed, and the pleco's will swoop down at night and get the eggs, or wait for them to hatch, where they are fair game to the RTBS and the loaches.

Back
Top Bottom