Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The Old World with New World Debate Rages On

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391053138.062199.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	219647 love electric blues him and my jack Dempsey are my fav in cichlid tankClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391053283.772563.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	219648

Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-lid View Post
Attachment 219647 love electric blues him and my jack Dempsey are my fav in cichlid tankAttachment 219648
Electric blue ahli are different from electric blue jack Dempsey, also jacks really shouldn't be in with Africans, just a heads up

Old 01-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
Electric blue ahli are different from electric blue jack Dempsey, also jacks really shouldn't be in with Africans, just a heads up
Please state why a Jack cant 's go with his electric blue. No offense but people keep making this claim and not backing it up with evidence. But I have allot of evidence of people successfully keeping Jacks with peacocks and haps. I actually have a Jack in with my peacocks and they have been fine for a long time.

PS I know we have had this discussion before so I wont get into it again but I cant let that comment go unanswered for fear of people taking it as fact.

pps very nice looking jack by the way.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a Texas green terror and convict with Africans no problems
Old 01-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
Please state why a Jack cant 's go with his electric blue. No offense but people keep making this claim and not backing it up with evidence. But I have allot of evidence of people successfully keeping Jacks with peacocks and haps. I actually have a Jack in with my peacocks and they have been fine for a long time.

PS I know we have had this discussion before so I wont get into it again but I cant let that comment go unanswered for fear of people taking it as fact.

pps very nice looking jack by the way.
You can let it go as fact as it simply is. Cichlids as a whole tend to be quite unpredictable personality wise. Individuals within a species can vary greatly, som may be calm, some may be homicidal. And for every "successful" mixing, I see 5 more horror stories of one destroying the other(s) or one withering away due to inappropriate water conditions. I'm not going into this all again, as it seems to be lost on deaf ears lately. All in all, I will say this. New worlds do NOT set up hierarchies or pecking orders like the rift lake cichlids do (or many species that is). Imagine having a pack of coyotes and throwing a domestic dog into their pack. Odds are, it's not gonna blow over so well. Sometimes, they may accept the dog, but generally, they will bully the dog, beat it senseless, or get terrorized by the dog. New worlds and old worlds are separated by an ocean. They are not meant to coexist...
Old 01-31-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Word Freakgecko! Separation by an ocean and isolated for millions of years just means they need to be confined together in a tank so they can get to know one another better.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

First its not fact because you have no facts to back it up. Its not falling deaf ears I just hear no facts and I don't fall inline to propaganda. I believe facts. By your logic dwarf gouramis and black skirt tetras cant go together they are separated by an ocean. A jack is not going to try and enter the hierarchy they keep to them selves. My peacocks have there hierarchy and my Jack keeps to herself.

You said that his Jack and Electric Blue cant go together. Why specifically cant those two fish go together. Forget old and new world why cant those two fish go together? As you so emphatically stated. All water perimeters overlap by a good margin PH,Temp. Food same. they don't compete for the same space haps are open water and dempseys are more bottom dwellers hanging out in there specified territory. So there are my FACTS. where are yours.... oh that's right you don't have any.

People need to stop repeating what they heard until they know why its true.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

PS I don't believe ALL new and old worlds can mix. I just told a guy his Fire Mouth and mbuna would not work together. But you have to know WHY they don't work. its not a blanket statement of no fish from this continent can go with this continent. That is a large generalization.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
PS I don't believe ALL new and old worlds can mix. I just told a guy his Fire Mouth and mbuna would not work together. But you have to know WHY they don't work. its not a blanket statement of no fish from this continent can go with this continent. That is a large generalization.

....All I know is that everytime I tried to mix Africans & South Americans it was a murder everytime.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
First its not fact because you have no facts to back it up. Its not falling deaf ears I just hear no facts and I don't fall inline to propaganda. I believe facts. By your logic dwarf gouramis and black skirt tetras cant go together they are separated by an ocean. A jack is not going to try and enter the hierarchy they keep to them selves. My peacocks have there hierarchy and my Jack keeps to herself.

You said that his Jack and Electric Blue cant go together. Why specifically cant those two fish go together. Forget old and new world why cant those two fish go together? As you so emphatically stated. All water perimeters overlap by a good margin PH,Temp. Food same. they don't compete for the same space haps are open water and dempseys are more bottom dwellers hanging out in there specified territory. So there are my FACTS. where are yours.... oh that's right you don't have any.

People need to stop repeating what they heard until they know why its true.
Hierarchy DOES plan into it greatly. New worlds and old worlds are completely different fish, the live much differently. Octofasciata live solitary or in pairs. Most Mbuna, peacocks, and Haps live in groups. It is a 100% different lifestyle. I have also seen jacks go crazy and kill entire tanks.

And cichlids are much different than tetras or gourami. Those can't be compared. Cichlids have an intelligence that is not commonly seen in the fish world. We aren't talking about a peaceful schooling fish, we are talking about a family of fish where most species are capable of recognizing one another, and some are even able to recognize owners.

You hear all too common of bloodbaths. And the reason you typically hear "well it's worked/working for me" is that 1.) the fish aren't sexually mature and 2.) most that end up with a bloodbath are too embarrassed to say it happened. But I've seen many tanks that have had massive issues from mixing continents.

The ONLY way I can see a mixed tank truthfully working is in an extremely large aquarium, something that most entry level hobbyists will not have. And even then, why would you want to put a fish way out of its natural habitat. Very rarely will a new world thrive in a rift lake tank, they merely survive.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com